We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Manhattan Beach

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Manhattan Beach

We will be in town soon and after reading restaurant suggestions we've narrowed it down to: Rock n Fish

Fonz's

Fishing with Dynamite

Kettle or Uncle Bill's for breakfast

Am I missing anything? Any/all comments welcome. thanks!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

Hi Coxy,

You have some great restaurants narrowed down. Just the one night? What hotel in MB are you staying at, perhaps I can suggest something else close by.

Fonz's is my favorite if looking for seafood, but no view. We like the bar or patio for people watching. Rock N'Fish is fun, only a few tables out on the patio have views of the Manhattan Beach ocean/pier. Good overall menu, nice choice. Take a walk on the pier if at sunset.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Fishing with Dynamite is the new kid on the block and has fabulous seafood, but very tiny, tables close together. I love it, menu reminds us of New England.

I like the Kettle best for wide choice of delicious breakfast items, very clean, nice patio full of plants and some views on the corner of MB Blvd. and very friendly service.

http://thekettle.net/photos.html

Uncle Bills has good pancakes I guess, but not always customer service, loud clanking of dishes, flies around the outdoor area where we ask to sit. It's packed on weekends by the young crowd though.

So many more restaurants, but I see you are looking at the ones in the few block downtown area.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

Fishing with Dynamite is a tad expensive, younger crowd, but it is unique. We like Uncle Bills even though it is mobbed and you frequently have to wait. In addition we sometimes have the sun in our eyes, but we still like to go there and eat outside. I'm the only member of my family that is not a big fan of the Kettle. I think that the food is good but still pretty standard. My kids take out of town guests there. A lot of fond memories there because it is open when most other places have closed.

Away from the beach, in the unpicturesque commercial strips on Rosecrans, Sepulveda, and around Manhattan Village Mall, are some very good restaurants. No scenic memories there though.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

We are renting a vrbo condo on Bayview near 30th st for three nights. View is nice but not necessary. We'll have a car but it would be nice to be able to walk but we'd certainly drive a bit for really good food. Sounds like the Kettle for breakfast-is it near us?

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

You are on the Hermosa/Manhattan border. The Bottle Inn is an excellent romantic restaurant that you can walk to. Unfortunately most of the restaurants near you will be a 15 minute hike. If you are under 30 you might like the night life on a Friday or Saturday night on Pier Ave in Hermosa.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

My wife and I had a nice a nice breakfast outside, last Saturday, at one of the bar/restaurants near the beach on Pier Ave. If we have out of town guests our first reaction is to go to Uncle Bill's since it is outside on a street up from the beach. If you want good seafood with an ocean view go to King Harbor (Redondo Beach - Cheese Cake Factory, Blue Water Grill, or Chart House).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

Actually, I thought Coxy was renting in MB on Bayview & 30th, which is in the north end of town, not near Hermosa. Manhattan Beach Blvd. is pretty much the center of town where downtown restaurants/shops/pier are (12th St. to our City Hall, Police/Fire Stations on 15th). Kettle is near 12th& Highland.

The popular Sea View Inn is on 34th and Highland, in same block are some favorites of ours. Sloopy's Cafe has a cute little garden patio that serves breakfast/lunch and famous for good shakes and malts.

I meet my friend for lunch there. She lives Bayview and 29th and we walk over when parking is tight in summer, so you could easily walk from your rental on 30th. Bayview is the street a block closer to the ocean than Highland which is the main thoroughfare.

www.sloopysbeachcafe.com/

The Local Yolk is everything breakfast.

www.thelocalyolk.com/

The North End Caffe is family owned. Good for sandwiches and salads, etc. was on Diners, Drive In's and Dives.

wwwnorthendcaffe.net/

Continuing up the street for dinner is Four Daughters Kitchen, Pancho's and more. Fishbar for really great food and fresh fish.

wwwfishbarmb.com

If looking for dive hole in the wall, El Tarasco since 1965 is the local favorite for Mexican. It has just 16 bar stools at a counter, but most people do take out. Highland and Rosecrans.

You won't go hungry on the north end of town.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

Cozy, I apologize, CaNative is correct, I misread your post with the street intersection. The restaurants I mentioned are all good, but you need to drive to them. As CaNative points out, there are a bunch of good choices near where you are staying.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

And a further apology for the IPhone spell check changing your names.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

Delurking here again. Thanks for that list CAnative as we are staying at the Sea View in a few weeks. I have never explored that part of MB when I lived in the area. Only went to the downtown MB Blvd area. We can bike on the Strand (or the alley behind the Strand houses?) down there at night right?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in Manhattan Beach

You could bike at night, but not on the Strand, that is for pedestrians. Either use the bike path along the sand or the streets that are well lit like Highland. I'm thinking accident safety, if someone is backing out of a garage and didn't see you riding by in alley where it is darker, now that summer is over. You would have to check with the management of the Sea View Inn re how long you can keep their Strand Cruisers out at night. Unlike a chain hotel, there is not someone sitting in the office 24/7 where you can return bikes/gear at any time. I think the offices closes at 11 PM.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach