We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoura Hills and Redwood City

Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Agoura Hills and Redwood City

Hi

We are flying in from Toronto on Saturday and staying at a friends in Agoura Hills until Thursday. On Thursday morning we are driving to RedWood City until Sunday morning. We will have a rental car. We thought of driving the PCH to Redwood City and we would make some brief stops but do the drive the same day. What is a good time to leave for Redwood in the am? Realistically how long will this take?

I had read about Santee Alley to do some clothes shopping? Is this worth my time? It sounds interesting. Would we be able to drive from Agoura to a parking lot near Santee Alley or should we rely on public transit? I'm not really a Rodeo Drive kind of person. We were going to go to the Oaks Mall in Thousand Oaks. We are also taking a Hollywood Tour and hoping to visit one of the Beaches.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
50,308 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

If you intend to use Highway 1 (not PCH which technically ends in Ventura) it is really not a one day drive as it is about ten hours to stay on the coast. If you do want to do it in one day, you should leave at 6AM or and then you still have limited time to stop along the way.

http://g.co/maps/4vc4q

I'd consider an over night in Cambria. Then you could leave later and dawdle more. I'd get to Highway 1 in Malibu from Agoura.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 06:10
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,568 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

If you want to take the coast road, definitely leave at about 6am. Google maps shows this route as taking just over 7 hours, but that requires an average speed of 55 mph, which is really optomitic/unreasonable IMO. The stretch of highway through Big Sur from San Simeon to Carmel is about 90 miles long. In that 90 miles, you will be lucky if you reach 55 mph more than a few times. I would estimate the average speed through there to be more like 35 mph.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
46,980 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

Redwood City CA -- Climate best by government test is the slogan there but it is a suburban town 30 or so miles south of SF. I presume you have work there or relatives there. If not perhaps you may want to stay in SF.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

In your case, no, I don't think it is worth your while to drive all the way from Aguoura Hills to the Fashion District in downtown Los Angeles. It about 40 miles. I'd say ask your friends if they think it is a good idea to visit the Fashion District. Their answer should settle the issue.

Santee Alley is part of the Fashion District which is about 70 blocks of retailers and wholesalers hawking all sorts of appareil. There is ample parking. However, it is not an orderly mall, but a vibrant bazaar with numerous sub-districts. It is definitely a shopping adventure. I suspect it isn't the kind of place you'd enjoy. Check out the mall in Thousand Oaks. To be clear, I say this as someone who used to live nearby and loves the Fashion District.

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

When staying with friends, the price is right, so there's no arguing with that. But normally Agoura Hills is not a great place to stay as a tourist as its quite far from most everything. Absolutely do not try to get from there to Santee Alley on public transit, it would take hours. Drive if you do decide to go but as Hitch mentions, it is a long drive. Be sure not to do the drive during rush hours (7-9am and 4-7pm on weekdays, more or less) so that you can drive in light traffic.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

Any suggestions to stay near Redwood City? We're driving up from Carmel to visit a friend, but need somewhere nice to stay. Looks a bit slim?

7. Re: Agoura Hills and Redwood City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:45