We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

I'm going to LA for the first time (from Vancouver, Washington), only there Sat. 5/19 p.m. to Tues 5/22 a.m.

Female flying down alone SAT 5/19. my brother and sister-in-law joining me Sunday afternoon. I’m currently booked at Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport in Hawthorne. (Brother and SIL are staying near the convention center Fri and Saturday nights, then will join me for the remainder of the visit)

At this point I'm booked at Comfort Inn the whole time. In reading older posts (2-years or more), it looks like maybe we should reconsider the accommodations.

I'm on a tight budget, but don't want to trade safety for $$$. Currently booked at $98/per night.

Would appreciate any advice.

Advice for things to do and see would also be appreciated.

Willing to drive a ways to see/do. Looking for sun, sand, water, fun. Any advice? Where to go/ What to do/see? (like country dancing, but am betting I won't find that down there) Only thing planned "to do" is maybe universal studios. I wouldn't mind some beach time.

Thanks

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,668 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

You must change your hotel, not only is it in a very inconvenient area, but it is a very ugly area.

Look into Sea Shore Motel and Sea View Hotel in Santa Monica.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,681 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

Get away from the Cockatoo Inn for that length of time. It is not a good area.

You are trading safety for $$$.

Have you tried Santa Monica on Expedia, HotWire and Hotels.com, etc?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,732 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

The Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset is in a better location with excellent public transit (to downtown L.A. where the Convention Center is as well as to other parts of L.A.). They are offering rooms around $100 including tax. This is a solid 2-star hotel.

Hotwire.com has some interesting offerings. In case you're not aware, hotwire.com does not disclose the name of their hotels until you agree to make the booking but they disclose info about the hotels that they offer (approximate neighborhood, room rate, list of amenities). From this info, we can often identify the hotel beforehand. For your dates, Hotwire.com is offering the following:

A 4-star in Glendale - Burbank - Universal City for $125. This is MOST PROBABLY, the 4-star Sheraton Universal in Universal City (steps from Universal Studios and a 10-minute drive to central Hollywood -- or a short metrorail ride). Parking is inexpensive at this hotel (I think it's $18 per night -- yes, that's inexpensive!).

(I would not delay in booking something!)

4. Re: Advice - where to stay near LAX? and more Q's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:10