We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinco de mayo 2012

Boston
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Cinco de mayo 2012

I will be visiting Los Angeles the first week of may and will be there Saturday may 5th. Are there any cinco de mayo festivals or activities going on? I will be staying in manhattan beach. My boyfriend and I are in ouir mid to late 20s so something fun. Thanks!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

What kinds of activities are you looking for? You will miss the mother of all Cinco de Mayo events on April 29th in downtown -- Fiesta Broadway. However, given you're staying in Manhattan Beach, I suspect this is the kind of event you're looking for.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

You might want to make a special trip to downtown LA for this one:

…about.com/od/…

Otherwise, this has become a bar experience (much like St. Patrick's day). About any bar will be having some kind of special.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

I mispoke. I meant to say Fiesta Broadway isn't the kind of event you're looking for.

ddf's suggestion is good.

HTH

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

In the evening, the restaurants and bars will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo in the South Bay.

Pancho's Restaurant in Manhattan Beach is very popular that day. They will have mariachis, live music and it's voted the best Margarita's in town.

http://www.panchosrestaurant.com/

Hermosa's Pedestrian Plasza is also full of young adults. Lots of restaurants and bars with people on foot. Celebrations will be advertised in the local paper this weekend.

http://www.pubclub.com/losangeles/hermosa.htm

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

There will be an outrageous amount of festivities to partake in during cinco de mayo.

Baja Sharkeez in Manhattan Beach is always a party spot. The offer 16 margarita drinks, festive eats and more - always at affordable rates.

http://www.sharkeez.net/manhattan-beach/

There are also a slew of restaurants, bars and lounges along the Hermosa Beach pier (your neighbor) that will have incredible cinco de mayo deals; Patrick Molloy's, Sangria, The Shore Lounge and more.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 00:32
Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

I found a summary of the festivities here - www.marpop.com/top-lists/cinco-de-mayo-in-la/

I'll be at Staples on 5 May (Sat) in the afternoon, and thought of going down to Olvera Street to look around. I'm not interested in imbibing large amounts of alcohol, so I gather that it's still worth it?

Also, I'll be parked at Staples; should I drive to Olvera, where should I park, or should I leave the car at Staples and take public transport to and from Olvera coz it'll be massively jammed at Olvera? I haven't been to LA before, so pardon the next question - is it safe to take public transport from Olvera back to Staples in the evening, say 8+pm? Thanks in advance!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

Union Station is at one end of the Red Line subway and Olvera St. is across the street from the station. To get back to Staples, take the red or purple line subways to the 7th St. Metro Center. You can walk about 3/4 mile from there back to Staples, or take the Blue or Expo Line light rail trains one stop to the Pico /Chick Hearn station which is only a few hundred feet from Staples.

8. Re: Cinco de mayo 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:12