We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

We spent a busy few days in Anaheim before driving to Manhattan Beach to relax for a few days before driving home. Our Anaheim TR: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k13640892-o10-TR_August_2021_Disneyland-Anaheim_California.html

Family of 4 with 2 kids 3.5 y and 2 months and grandma. Stayed at a penthouse suite at Sea View Inn. We lived in the area (Torrance adjacent) before kids during and after grad/professional school. My husband still berates me about buying our townhouse in a "transition" neighborhood rather than rent at the beach to this day. So we pretended to be MB locals for a few days.

Hotel location was perfect. Room service was all the many coffee houses, breakfast places, and restaurants right outside our doors. The beach was 3 blocks down a steep hill. We had a patio with beach view. The main bedroom even had a platform for the bed so you could still see the ocean laying flat on your back!

With the baby, I was up early each day. I called for take out breakfast and coffee at Sloopys, Cafe Wild, and North End Cafe. One morning I drove to Metlox to get my husband's favorite gazpacho from Le Pain Quotidien. For dinner, we got take outs from El Tarasco the first night and pizza from Beach Pizza the last night. Walke to Nawa Thai one night and drove to our old favorite Eboshi Ramen Bar in Lomita. Also bought some items from Moon's Convenience Store across the street.

The hotel had beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, sand toys, and boogie boards. I brought my little office cart that I use for the beach here in Santa Cruz to cart everything down and up the hill. Other guests were jealous. :P I took my daughter down that each day after lunch for some much needed mommy and me time. I also packed her life jacket. She mostly loved playing in the sand but we also walked around the water. Sometimes the water was calm but there was one day it was a strong pull. I held her hand tight always and spoke with the lifeguard each day. I also remembered her scooter and helmet for The Strand. I forgot it at Yosemite and she was so sad to see other kids ride theirs. I didn't let her ride the scooter down the hill from the hotel as it was steep. We didnt' use the bike lane either as she is only 3yo and fast moving bikes. We used the pedestrian walkway above the bike lanes.

We were going to drop my mom off with a friend in Alhambra on a weekday but they were not available after all until the weekend. We all went with her to eat dim sum at Lunasia in Alhambra. Clean, good, and cheap. They had a Yelp waitlist and the best QR menu and ordering I have come across in a restaurant. The printed a ticket with a table specific QR code. You order but don't have to pay until the end with a card. Other systems not table specific and made you pay when ordering. We also went to a cemetery in Whittier after this (Rose Hill). I don't miss the LA traffic. It sucks and the baby always cried when the car went from freeway speed to stop. Going through downtown or the East LA area tangle particularly sucked.

The sunsets were perfect each night. We had wine and enjoyed the views and relaxed here a few days before leaving at 3am to drive home while the kids were still sleeping. It worked out well. We will be back LA. But dang that traffic sucks.

10 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
125 reviews
73 helpful votes
1. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

So glad you had a good visit, especially with young children. When our kids were that age the simplest trip seemed like such a chore. The critique of the Sea View Inn and the Sand Section of Manhattan Beach is good.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 06:24
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
75,951 posts
8,650 reviews
4,055 helpful votes
2. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Nice trip. Thanks for your trip report.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
24,040 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Good to hear back from you on the final part of your SoCal trip. The weather has been nice for the beach, glad you were able to enjoy time there. Sounds like you hit some of the local cafe’s in the area of the SVI. Makes life easier to bring food in with small kids and having a kitchen.

Wow, way out to Whittier and across LA. Yes, traffic must have been heavy and you had to do all the driving in a few days.

Thanks for getting back to us!

Level Contributor
43,659 posts
1,000 reviews
1,693 helpful votes
4. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Nice report! 😎

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
31,280 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Thanks for the TR. Lunasia was one of our go to dim sum places in LA. Everytime we go to LA, we are always floored by how much cheaper and better and more variety the Chinese food is down there. I guess these days you can't go to a restaurant unless you are current with technology. I still remember the time when dim sum places would count the dishes on your table for the bill.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
6. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Clever way to transport your beach necessities back and forth from room. I am glad you had a good time!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87,101 posts
2,908 reviews
2,706 helpful votes
7. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Very nice Trip Report.

Have not been back to Manhattan Beach, since a healthcare system tried to recruit my wife there.

Your Trip Report took me back to that trip.

Hunt

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
69,236 posts
396 reviews
719 helpful votes
8. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Great TR Chinita. I always love hearing about your food choices. El Tarasco is one of my favorites. I often stop there going to or from LAX.

Haven't been to Lunasia in years, when I get up that way I go to NBC Seafood Restaurant or Capitol Seafood, but I see Lunasia has a Cerritos location now so I may need to do a mini road trip.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
693 posts
38 reviews
111 helpful votes
9. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Two years later still think about the Carnitas plate from El Tarasco......it was that good!

Edited: 28 August 2021, 02:38
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
10. Re: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Save

Karen - that's what I got! I took a picture of it with the sunset from out balcony.

Facebook memories tell me I was at the Manhattan Beach Open (beach volleyball) 10 years ago today. (We moved Nov 2011). We saw banners Manhattan Beach for this year's event which was last weekend. We were a week too early. The banners said free which is great. I thought they charged and blocked out views for a while.

Edited: 28 August 2021, 02:44
Reply to: TR: 4 nights at Manhattan Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.