We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help and Advice - couples planning LA

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Help and Advice - couples planning LA

hello my girlfriend and i from the UK are going to los angeles for 7 days in mid october. we are staying in the manhattan beach area at the best western plus hotel with breakfast included. we have the universal studios tour booked but nothing else yet.we also have a rented a ford mustang.

the questions i have are as per below.

will 2000 dollars be enough for 2 people for food and things to do we are not there to party.

any ideas for places to go and attractions etc

where do the locals drink and eat where we can get the americans feel rather than the tourism (if that exists)

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

Manhattan Beach isn't particularly full of tourists so most of the many bars & restaurants near the ocean/strand will have local (and upscale) vibe.

Budget whatever you'd budget for a similar trip in UK, our prices are a bit lower but they'll add 10% tax and you'll add a tip (gratuity) so it will all come out just slightly higher than UK dining.

Manhattan Beach is nice (don't stay near your hotel on busy Sepulveda Blvd, get closer to the beach for dining etc....in October you'll find parking quite easily), but MB is not "central" or very convenient for tourists. Everything will be a drive. Avoid hitting the freeway before 9:30am and wherever you are at 4pm, stay put until 7pm or you'll be into maddening traffic.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

What to see and do in LA? Take a look at the Top Questions ... in particular: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g326…

As for local eats, MB is not so touristy like Tom said. Also head down to Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach for food and drinks and local beachy surfy vibe.

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

thanks for all the help both . well noted

Pecos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
589 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

Hi John,

If you truly want to eat like a local while in Manhattan Beach be sure to check out El Tarasco on Rosencrans Ave. It's a tiny place and there is always a line out the door....don't let that discourage you, just get in the fast moving line and prepare yourself for fantastic authentic Mexican food at really cheap prices. If you can sit at the counter it's fun to watch the kitchen ballet. They put out an incredible amount of great food at a manic pace. If there is no seating take it to go and walk across the street to the beach. My mouth is watering just thinking about the Carnitas plate!

http://eltarasco.menu/home

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:51
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

Hi,

We are also travelling for a week in October, staying in the same hotel!.

Depending on where you're planning on eating you should have more than enough money. We tend to eat local or in chain type restuarants and probably spend around $50 - so that would be $350ish...if you ballpark $500 allowing lunches, snacks etc you still have $1500 left.

Theme park tickets will be the biggest expense, have you already paid for Universal?.

I can recommend the Warner bros. studio tour - can't remember the cost but not expensive.

Then you have cycling the beach cycle path, Santa Monica Pier, museums, Disney, Orange county beaches and towns or Malibu and going further north, shopping....and people watching - just for starters!

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Help and Advice - couples planning LA

thanks alot. i have not yet paod for universal. was thinking of cycling the beaches , one day will go the Hollywood and beverley hills area and end up in the night to have a meal in a skyscraper restaurant in the downtown area. i think i will need to organise correctly so that i dont spend half a day in traffic of course. we arrive on the 13th october and hoping the weather will be pleasant

Reply to: Help and Advice - couples planning LA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted