We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in LA with a kid

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 Days in LA with a kid

We are coming first time to La landing on 29th June heading back on 4 th. July. What can we cover. Is going to sequoia national park even a option with 2 year old. What else can we cover in and around LA( except Disney)

6 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,855 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

My first reaction was that I would not recommend Sequoia with only 4 days available. It’s about a 4 to 5 hour drive. There’s plenty to do here in LA. But if it’s something that you want to do, and you are okay with being in the car so much, you could do it. I would recommend Yosemite over Sequoia. I would also try to plan such that you aren’t hitting LA rush hour traffic. Finding suitable lodging inside of the park may kill the idea.

On the full version of this webpage (non mobile version), on the right hand side, under top topics, are sightseeing suggestions. I think that there’s also an article for sightseeing with children.

With a toddler you are looking for attractions that you can go to and enjoy, that are easy for the whole family. Consider the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, the LA Zoo, the gardens at the Huntington Library, the Getty Center, the view from the Griffith Park Observatory, and the museums around and including the La Brea Tar Pits.

San Diego is about 2 to 4 hours away depending on traffic. They have the San Diego Zoo and Sea World. If that’s of interest you should spend a night there.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 11:46
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,427 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

Ralph has recapped it nicely. I like Seki (the combined Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (and think the toddler would too) but as mentioned above, it's a 4 hour each way from LA so it would require an overnight there.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

If you don't want to stay in LA the entire time, consider Laguna Beach or Santa Barbara for a day or two. Much closer, and you will spend too much of your time driving if you go to SEKI.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,203 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

Here are great family things to do in LA if you want to enjoy us at all:

https:/…83452428

You are planning terribly late for the National Parks over a holiday, too. If you want advise about them, please refer to their very helpful National Parks official website or the Sequoia Kings Canyon TripAdvisor forum.

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

Thanks everyone for lovely inputs. I think we will just skip the National park this time and spend more time around Los Angeles. Will go through the ideas suggested and plan.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,650 posts
659 reviews
6. Re: 4 Days in LA with a kid

" Is going to sequoia national park even a option with 2 year old. "

Yes if you rent a car.

Reply to: 4 Days in LA with a kid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted