We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to LA trip

Fife Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to LA trip

Hi All

Total novice with no clue ;-) thought it was a great idea to travel from Las Vegas to LA on holiday. We've been to Vegas before so that's no problem, we have 5 full days in LA my questions are:

Having cleared immigration on arrival in Vegas, we are flying internally, will we have to clear customs again in LA, we are british? or can we just go straight through on collecting our luggage?

Thinking of staying at Redondo Beach is this a good area for visiting LA? I know it can be an hours drive away maybe more on traffic from Hollywood etc? or should we break it up and stay nearer? was thinking of a day in Universal, a day in Anaheim, a day in Hollywood, thought Redondo would be easy enough to commute either way as such?

Or could stay in Hollywood do the tourist stuff, then go to Redondo to chill?

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA

15 replies to this topic
Ontario
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

You will not have to go through customs again since it is a domestic flight (doesn't matter who you are, only matters where the flight is coming from).

It is certainly doable to stay in Redondo Beach for the whole trip. Traffic will be an issue but it will be an issue anywhere if you plan to have only one base and tour around the LA/Orange County area. Do not plan to travel during rush hour - it will double your time in the car.

Personally, if I were picking one base and wanted to be by the beach, I would go for somewhere around Santa Monica (closer to Universal Studios and Hollywood sites). A day trip to Anaheim from there is not so bad traffic-wise because it generally goes in the opposite direction of the commuter traffic (though you really can never know for sure).

I don't like switching accommodations if I don't have to but, if you don't mind doing that then you might want to stay in the Hollywood area for your Universal Studios/Hollywood days and then move to the beach closer to Anaheim for your beach/Disney days to cut down on the driving.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

What is your budget per night for a hotel?

Consider staying in Anaheim for Disneyland a night or two (arrival night, anyway), then moving hotels to Hollywood, or the Grove area, or Santa Monica, etc.

Redondo is far from everything, but doable. The hotels in the area are not at the beach, but along an urban, ugly, stretch of Sepulveda.

Pecos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
586 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

Hello

If you decide to spend a couple nights in LA and then you want to "chill" at the beach for a few nights consider Manhattan Beach. I recommend The Sea View Inn at the Beach. Great little place to stay with ocean views. The walk to the beach was about a block...very doable. The Inn has everything you need to enjoy a beach vacation, chairs, towels, boogie boards and bikes to ride along the strand. Manhattan Beach has great restaurants, shops and of course the Pier, all walkable from the Sea View. Another plus you are only 4 miles from LAX when it's time to move on.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

I'd also pick Manhattan Beach over Redondo Beach as it is much closer to the freeways, as in a mile or two whereas it is a 15-20 minute drive to get to the freeway from RB, and I have lived in both cities.

Fife Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

Thank you appreciate your help!

Fife Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

I was looking at the Portofino at redondo, looked like it was on a Marina island if that makes sense ;)

Fife Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

Thanks Karen I'll definitely check that out.

Fife Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

Hi Karen

It's costing about $200 per night and we need 5 nights, is this a normal pricing bracket for the area. Or will it come down in price?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

Hotel prices are dependent on the dates of your stay.

The Portofino is in the middle of Redondo Marina next to the hustle and bustle of the pier so IMO it's not a good place to "chill on the beach". I second the recommendations for staying in Manhattan Beach or if you're younger, Hermosa Beach, or if you can afford to, Santa Monica.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,926 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas to LA trip

I think Redondo is too far south and not a great location for touring LA. If you were coming for five nights and looking to beach/pool and maybe go into LA one day the Portofino would be fine, but I'd look into Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica or even Marina del Rey (assuming you have a car) instead.

Reply to: Las Vegas to LA trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted