We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

I will be in La Jolla the first of June and will be spending some time on La Jolla Cove beach. Since I can not be in the sun for any length of time, is there a company that rents beach umbrella's on the beach?

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

There are no commercial rentals on any of our beaches.--Sorry

La Jolla Cove has a grassy park above the small rock enclosed beaches, that has trees with shade. You can spend some time in the water,on the sand/rocks, and then get a shady spot.

You may find some inexpensive beach equipment at local pharmacies and grocery stores too.

Some local hotels/B&Bs may also have some equipment you can use.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

After looking at all the pix I was thinking that I might be spending time on the grassy park. Looks like it will still be a great view of the ocean and sea life.

Thanks so much for your help!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

In June you may find the "June Gloom" fog at the La Jolla Cove. This coastal fog usually burns off around noon, but sometimes it stays throughout the day. The grassy park is a great place to spend the day, and you will be joined by many families, especially on the weekends. There is a section with trees, but that area is usually the first to be occupied. Just wear a wide-rimmed hat and lots of sun screen, and you will be fine in and out of the sun.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

There's an almost cave-like area at the west end (left end) of the cove, just walk to the left of the beach and walk on the rocks, and you can be in that area and shaded from the sun, yet still be at the water level and look out at the waves. You can't really sit down there, though, unless you are willing to sit on a rock. La Jolla Cove is enclosed on 3 sides, so you might be able to find shade on the beach itself at some times of day, although in June the sun is almost directly overhead so finding that shade might be difficult then. At Shell Beach, which is at the opposite end of Ellen Browning Scripps Park and just a 5-minute walk from La Jolla Cove, there is an overhanging wall of rock at the north end of the beach, and the sand underneath it would be in the shade for most of the day. But at high tide that area might be wet. Along the oceanfront sidewalk that connects these 2 beaches, there are 2 or 3 small "playhouse"-like structures that you can sit down in and they are covered, so if you are sitting in them you are in the shade and still have a view of the waves. But they are often occupied. If you walk up to Goldfish Point, directly east of La Jolla Cove, there are many eucalyptus trees there which will provide shade while you still have an ocean view. And at Windansea Beach, off of Nautilus Street in La Jolla, there is the famous frond-topped surf hut that provides shade. I never see anyone under it. lajollavacationrentalsca.com/site/wp-content…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

Great, great info on the beach and shady spots! I could see the "playhouse" like structures on google earth and all the other recommended spots.

Thank you all so much!

6. Re: beach umbrella's for rent @ La Jolla Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:11
Get answers to your questions about La Jolla