We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Apologies to the community. I know this has been done to death.

Just wanted a perspective with regards to kids. Visiting in July for 1 week. Two kids aged 4 and 7.

We booked to stay in La Jolla but my wife now says she thinks Pacific Beach is "better" and more child friendly.

Hotel pool and kids club not required, so these do not factor in.

We are in our early forties, very casual and fine dining is not required.

Not sure where she got this idea about La Jolla being less kid friendly. I disagree and would appreciate local/reality based opinion.

I booked the Pantai Inn but she wants this switched to the Pacific Terrace.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

15 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,726 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

The Pantai Inn is a small hotel across the street from a park.

The park is above the small cove(rock enclosed beaches) which have sand at low tide.

I do not know how the Pantai treats children but I do know the area is upscale and lovely.

Pacific Beach has a wide white sandy beach with a cement path next to it where you can walk/bike. It is a short distance from the Pacific Terrace to get to the location of the Pantai but the ambiance of the 2 areas are different.

I don't think that the neighborhood of LJ is unfriendly to children but I have no idea about the Pantai itself.

The beach area in LJ that we often suggest to families with young children is La Jolla Shores which also has a wide white sandy beach with a park next to it and a small playground for the little ones. The hotels at LJ shores are not as modern as the 2 you have chosen but the beach area is certainly more perfect for little ones than the cove area. Actually in July I'd want a pool as I don't always love salt water but you may feel differently.

La Jolla, California
8 posts
2. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Pantai Inn is a great location - right across from the Children's Pool and close to the Cove (both have seals & sea lions, which I know kids love). It's not too far away (definitely walking distance) from the La Jolla Rec Center, which has two playgrounds, and nearby Scripps Park, which is a nice green space.

It's also close to some family friendly restaurants in the Village. I live in La Jolla and have two small children and definitely don't find it to be unfriendly to families!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
247 reviews
3. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Hmmm...I, too, wonder where your wife got the idea that LJ is not as family/kid friendly as Pacific Beach. As Riff M mentioned, La Jolla Shores is a very family-friendly area. They have a small playground right on the beach, as well as a large grassy field where the kids can play ball or run around while families picnic/bbq. The wide sandy beach is perfect for kids with its gently sloping entry into the water. The restaurants around the area are all located in one street and most of them are very kid-friendly.

The Pantai Inn is a lovely boutique hotel right across from Children's Pool and the ocean. La Jolla Cove is a 6 minute walk. There are small beaches in the area and there is a recreation center with playground a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
4. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Thank you so much for all your detailed replies and excellent advice. I have shown this thread to my wife and we are sticking with plan A at La Jolla. Thanks again Riff M, nycrunninggirl and ElleLaJolla.

Level Contributor
3,111 posts
1 review
5. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

What is your itinerary while in San Diego? The village of La Jolla is not very convenient to the freeway.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
6. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Hi MadelineM_SF. Thanks for your reply and question.

Five days, staying in Little Italy. Main things we would like to do are the Zoo, USS Midway and Balboa Park. La Jolla for seven days mainly exploring local beaches. Driving to Oceanside, hopefully golf at Torrey Pines and then fly home. Walk and local transit initially and car booked for second part of trip.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,269 posts
435 reviews
7. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

>>>The village of La Jolla is not very convenient to the freeway.<<<

Funny, I think Downtown La Jolla (the village area) is much more convenient to the freeway than Pacific Beach is.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

<<<Funny, I think Downtown La Jolla (the village area) is much more convenient to the freeway than Pacific Beach is.>>>

Completely disagree...La Jolla traffic is bad. I can get to I-5 from North PB in less than 6 minutes.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,269 posts
435 reviews
9. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

>>>Completely disagree...La Jolla traffic is bad. I can get to I-5 from North PB in less than 6 minutes<<<

You can't get from Pacific Terrace to the 5 in six minutes even hitting every light an speeding.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach

Traffic is a tie for both locations during rush hours in the morning and afternoon.

Reply to: La Jolla vs Pacific Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Jolla
Recent Conversations