We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
524 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Hi

Could anyone let me know which bus is the best to get from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville. We are in our sixties, so want reasonable comfort and safety.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Chrissy

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Full-Day Sihanoukville Shore Excursion
8 Reviews
from US$ 95.00*
Free Cancellation
Swimming With Sparkling Plankton
8 Reviews
from US$ 18.75*
Free Cancellation
Full Day Three Island Cruise from...
17 Reviews
from US$ 40.00*
Free Cancellation
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Hello chrissyi,

For sectors Phnom Penh - Sihanhoukville - Phnom Penh I feel that the Giant Ibis services probably are best suited to your needs.

Giant Ibis has its own website and online booking service.

Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
524 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, I will book with Giant Ibis.

Cheers Chrissy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Hello again chrissyi,

This is a perennial debate about whether to travel in a full sized bus, ie the heaviest and largest on the road usually comes off the better in the event of any collision, or in a lighter vehicle such as a smaller lighter vehicle. Generally speaking as a very regular road traveller in Cambodia I subscribe to the former and mostly, but not entirely, practice it because there are places where you do not have options.

However, even though the road between Phnom Penh and Sihanhoukville is heavily trafficked and with many and large vehicles plying between Phnom Penh ant the Sihanhoukville Port, it is still a reasonable road by Cambodian standards and not beset with much road works unlike other popular routes such as NR/RN 6 to Siem Reap.

Whilst I do not consider you old for one moment, today's sixty being last years fifty, so to speak, I believe you will get a better and more comfortable trip with the GI vehicle, although you may care to give some thought as to where you sit in the vehicle as the front row of seats can be a bit short of leg room.

A common concern about these lighter type of buses/vehicles is how and where the assorted luggage is stowed inside the vehicle next to the driver unrestrained by any secured safety net. But this is a common problem with all vehicles of this type operating all over the country. Whereas the big buses stow all luggage and general cargo under the seating floor of the passengers.

Also just be aware that there is no toilet on board these smaller buses/vehicles but rather public "roadside stops" will be made on request in addition to any scheduled stops.

Safe and interesting travels. Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

Chrissy when you choose your seat on that bus, avoid row 5 at all cost, or you’ll have those fifty year old legs stuck up under that sixty year old chin for the entire journey.

Have fun

5. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to Sikhanoukville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2015, 10:45