We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Hi,

I intend travelling with my two teenagers aged 17 and 19 (male and female) to HCMC and then on to either Phu Quoc Island or Sihanoukville (via buses) for a week.

It's mostly just a relaxing holiday with a day trip or tour here and there but not too busy.

I have been to Siahnoukville and stayed in the Ouchetel/Serendipty Beach area, although I empathise with the locals, I found the the constant selling at that beach really annoying. What I don't know though is whether other Sihanoukville beaches are better or if Phu Quoc Island would be a better option?

I'll be travelling on a low budget.

What's the better option please?

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Hi,

Simply on the basis that you've been to Sihanoukville already I'd be much more inclined to head to Phu Quoc island. It has much better beaches and I think the range of accommodation is better too imo. If you did want to go back to Sihanoukville and were looking for better beaches then you might consider heading out to koh Rong a couple of hours offshore for a few days which has stunning beaches and a real desert island feel.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Thanks Paulosussex,

Koh Rong sounds lovely but I reckon that it would be a bit remote and quiet for my kids.

Perhaps Phu Quoc Island is the go. I'll have to research it further.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Phu Quoc is great. Very laid back and accommodation to suit all budgets. Almost no hawkers to speak of, and fantastic food. Great beaches and national parks that are almost empty. But that may all change once the new international airport is finished.

You haven't said when you're going. The weather may play a big part in your decision.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

It's 11 months away so the weather should be fine..... (yes I like to plan ahead)

The fact that there's almost no hawkers is very, very appealing.

Thanks Westendgaz!

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

If you're on a tight budget you should book ahead as far as possible. My daughter is going in April and she booked a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest she could get was $50 a night.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Recently returned from visiting both. Phu definitely more laid back and some great beaches specially south beach. Everything closes quite early and children might get bored though. Also worth considering Mui ne if you like laid back but with more lively bars. We also enjoyed nya trang its a much bigger town/city so has more options but perhaps on balance Phu quok was good for us. Sianookville excuse spelling was fun but very bad for hawkers and disabled beggars. When on the beach we had a constant stream of them which was not ideal

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Phu Quoc is great and your children could easily head off on their own exploring and be safe.

We had four nights on the Island in Dec 2010 with our then 15 year old son, we managed to keep him entertained.

Check out Beach Club, its a top spot, and like you we booked well ahead. you have to book ahead for PQ anyway. Not many hawkers on the beach, actually l don;t think there was any! Beach's were clean were we stayed, highly recommend the beach club.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

Sounds like Phu Quoc is definitely the way to go.

I think the only thing that Sihanoukville has on Phu Quoc is the accommodation prices.

Thanks guys!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

AnnG62 did you stay at Beach Club? If so did your son have to have his own room or did they put an extra bed in your room?

Thanks

Edited: 21 February 2012, 14:17
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc Island

We had two bunglows for the grand price of $50 us and it was the high season! No aircon but wasn't really needed, it's right on the beach. I think prices have gone up but it is worth whatever they are charging now. Top spot.