We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to California - Need Help

Michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
First Time to California - Need Help

My husband will be going to Hayward for work for 10 days, leaving in two weeks. I plan to join him for a week - we will be staying in Union City. We have never been to California and plan to see as much as we can after work on the weekdays and will have all day Saturday and Sunday. Any advice on what to see and how to get to the tourist spots in San Francisco would be appreciated - Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Golden Gate Park, Redwoods, etc. This trip came up fast so I don't have a lot of time to figure things out and right now it seems difficult but I know this forum will help me out. We are very active people and don't mind public transportation or walking to make things easier as I hear the traffic is horrible. Also, is Union City a safe place to stay?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to California - Need Help

There is a BART station in Union City. This is a good way to get into the city without having to deal with the traffic and parking.

The public transportation is excellent in the city so you can visit all the places which you mentioned above except for the Redwoods. You can buy a MUNI city pass for the day which includes all the transportation including the cable cars(not the BART). The Muir Woods(REdwoods) is best done with your car and only 1 hour across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Union City is a safe place to stay. It's not that special just your typical business/residential neighborhood. A good place to eat in Hayward is Banchero's Italian Restaurant. They have excellent allinclusive Italian dinners and very reasonable.

Enjoy!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to California - Need Help

If in Hayward -for the week-end you are there, you might want to consider one of the following:

1) Drive to Monterey or Carmel

2) Drive to Santa Cruz and drive up Highway 1 for dinner in San Francisco and then return to Hayward.

3) Drive the short drive over the hills to Livermore wineries - there are some places to have dinner such as at Wente Winery.

ttp://www.wentevineyards.com/

4) One night drive up to Alameda after work and have dinner at Scotts. You will get a nice waterway view.

Another place would be Skates in Berkeley for a nice dinner and view of San Francisco.

5) As mentioned Bart is a convenient way to get around. Union City is as mentioned more of a bedroom community with some offices so using public transportation (especially if you don't have a car) close to the BART station or having a car is a good idea.

Note: Dependent on when you get off work having dinner and walking at the ocean afterwards at Half Moon Bay is another idea.

Downtown San Jose is also fine. let us know if you have any sports or theater interests and timing, and we can help suggest those also.

Enjoy your trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to California - Need Help

Most, if not all, of your questions are answered at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/

Michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to California - Need Help

Thanks all for all the great advice. My husband will be back to the hotel during the weeek days arund 2:00 so we will have time then to do some things. We are active and like to walk/hike and be outdoors. We want to try to do as much as we can in this short period of time.

5. Re: First Time to California - Need Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 18:49
Get answers to your questions about Hayward
Recent Conversations