We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garlic

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
28 reviews
Garlic

I will be driving by Gilroy on my way to Monterey in June, 2016. I also like garlic. I understand that Gilroy is probably the garlic capital of the world. Is there any festivals that time of year? Where can I buy some various varieties of garlic? Are there stands on the side of the road like some other agricultural areas?

9 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,225 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Garlic

Hi raiderone - The Garlic Festival is in July. Here's the Gilroy website. You might find something going on when you're there.

http://gilroywelcomecenter.org/

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
60,334 posts
443 reviews
2. Re: Garlic

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is usually the last week of July.

But there are places off the 101 Highway like the Garlic Shoppe and Garlic World as well as some shops in the Premium Outlet Center.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,330 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Garlic

There are stands right off the highway where you can buy garlic goodies, but they're more like little stores than actual produce stands.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,402 posts
6,456 reviews
4. Re: Garlic

Garlic World has garlic and olive tasting. It is directly on 101

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32428-d41…

Edited: 18 November 2015, 12:11
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Garlic

Looks like I'm going to Garlic World!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,612 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Garlic

So far as I know, Christopher Ranch in Gilroy is the largest garlic grower. In addition to dry heads, They sell peeled cloves in a sealable bag, which I always keep in my refrigerator, (our supermarkets carry them) and they also sell all kinds of other forms...diced, sliced, minced, etc. in small bottles.

I do not think they sell direct, as in a roadside stand, (not sure) but the retail establishments named above undoubtably do. Here is a website to check out..

christopherranch.com/our-products/find-our-p…

I believe if you put in your zip code, you will get a list of their products near you. I, too, love garlic and appreciate not having to peel it and the Christoper Ranch high quality peeled cloves keep me happy.

Best thing since "sliced bread" :~)

Edited: 25 November 2015, 07:11
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
17,192 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Garlic

Go to Casa de Fruta, on Hwy 152 east of Gilroy. It started as a roadside fruit stand, and over the years it has morphed into a resort with a colossal produce market, gourmet and gift shop, restaurant (good food, 24/7), deli, wine tasting, sweet shoppe, gas station, antique farm equipment all over the place, miniature train ride, park with windmills and ducks in a pond, kids’ playground, double-decker carousel, motel, campgrounds for RVs and tents, and pools for adults and kids. Oh, and free-roaming peacocks that might be seen anywhere on the grounds at any time.

You could spend a day or two and not run out of fun things to do, including going to San Luis Reservoir for water recreation or Gilroy for shopping. And the produce market sells regular size and gigantic garlic cloves (they are called elephant garlic) and bottled garlic, sauces, dressings, and other delicacies.

www.casadefruta.com/

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
8. Re: Garlic

Gilroy is the Garlic Capital and is the center for garlic processing. But most of the garlic grown in the US comes from farms in the San Joaquin Valley with Fresno County the largest growing area. Garlic harvest is during the summer and you may see loaded trucks on highways/freeways heading over the hills from the Valley toward the processing facilities in Gilroy.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,225 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Garlic

I have been through Gilroy so many times in my life. Oh the smell ..... I love it.

In any case, I have no idea of the places (names) of where I have stopped. But, there is no lack of choice! Have been since I was just a child through my being able to drive through myself !

Reply to: Garlic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gilroy