We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Hi,

Im planning a trip there next 16 Feb 2015. I heard there will be more discounts on a Public Holiday. Will there be any public transport on that day? Which is the best mode of public transport? Outlethop service seem way too expensive. Caltrain take about 3 hours from SFO. :(

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

There aren't really any good public transportation options to Gilroy. There is limited Caltrain service aimed at commuters, not shoppers. There are also buses from San Jose. If you can't rent a car and drive, your best bet is probably to take Caltrain to San Jose Diridon Station (www.Caltrain.com), then VTA bus #68 to Gilroy and then VTA bus # 14 to the outlets (www.vta.org).

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,103 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

If you do not have a car, you might consider some of these other outlets easier to access by public transit from SF:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k589862…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k539970…

Just so you know, it was be a MADHOUSE at Gilroy over a holiday weekend. I am not sure if the savings are worthwhile. I have family from SE Asia and Singapore/KL too. They tell me just the regular retail price in SF or some of the sale racks at regular stores are already significant discounts. So... unless you really want to shop till you drop, see if it will be worthwhile to go all the way to these places without a car. And if you go without a car, how will you bring back all the bags and bags of loot you buy?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Hi November_Moon,

Are Caltrain and VTA operating on Public Holidays? When you say limited service does that mean there is only a handful service that operate in the day?

HI Chinita,

Next President Day is on a Monday. Does regular store start to offer discounted items that weekend before President Day already?

I have only been to Texas Premium Outlet and thankfully we had a driver back then and the sales was so awesome. Therefore will really hope to visit the P.M again this time on a Public Holiday if its feasible.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Yes, they both operate on holidays. You can look at the web sites I gave you to get information about service., schedules, etc.

Caltrain Holiday Service: caltrain.com/schedules/holidayservice.html

VTA Holiday Service:http://www.vta.org/getting-around/holiday-schedule

As you can see, on some holidays they operate on a Sunday schedule, however Presidents Day is a regular service day. Presidents Day is a very minor holiday in which schools, banks, and government offices are closed, but for everybody else, it is business as usual. Some people take vacation days since their kids are out of school.

Regarding my comment about limited Caltrain service to Gilroy - yes, there are only a few trains per day. There are 3 northbound trains from Gilroy in the morning and 3 southbound trains to Gilroy in the evening.

You can see the complete Caltrain schedule here:

caltrain.com/schedules/weekdaytimetable.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Hi November Moon,

Sorry for the late revert. Thanks for your very detailed information. But looking at the very few timings maybe its better for me to go the Livermore Outlet shop instead? Im so afraid I be stranded there with a kid and a senior citizen if we missed the train.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Yes, go to Livermore or rent a car. To get back to SF from Gilroy, you'd have to take a bus to SJ and then Caltrain from there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day

Many thanks

Reply to: Visiting Gilroy Premium Outlet on next President Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gilroy