We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Sequoia NP in August

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Traveling to Sequoia NP in August

Need some suggestions on my father and I first trip to Sequoia NP. We will be arriving at Fresno Airport in late August and will be lodging at Wuksachi Lodge for 5 days. What suggestions do you have regarding traveling to the park with luggage? Thinking of renting a car but it will be sitting while we are in the park. I checked the Sequoia Shuttle and I was told no luggage is allowed due to space. I'm wondering what most people do when they arrive at Fresno Airport and are staying inside the park? Thank you for any suggestions.

2 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
1. Re: Traveling to Sequoia NP in August

That is pretty much it for public transportation. You could look into private shuttles ($$).

I think you'll want a car to explore other areas of the parks- like Grant Grove or Cedar Grove?

I would also split you stay with a couple nights at John Muir Lodge so you can more easily visit Kings Canyon.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
2. Re: Traveling to Sequoia NP in August

The Sequoia Shuttle does not operate from the Fresno Airport, it operates from Visalia. You would first need to use the V-Line Transit bus for the 45 miles between Fresno Airport and Visalia. Then you would transfer to the Sequoia Shuttle. That would require aligning your flights with 2 different bus schedues. Not necessarily easy to do.

If you arrange a private shuttle/driver, you would then be limited for transportation inside the park.

Once in the park without a car you would be limited to only stop along the in-park bus lines. If you have not checked the map at the bottom of this webpage yet, notice the in-park bus routes visit only the major tourist stops. With 5 days you may have plans for many other things not on the routes that you want to see.

nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/parktransit.htm

For 5 days and the most flexibility, I would rent a car.

Reply to: Traveling to Sequoia NP in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fresno