We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,632 posts
245 reviews
195 helpful votes
CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

I will be heading to San Bernardino from Barstow.

I'm more interested in interesting and added value than I am in easy, quick or efficient.

I therefore wondered if diverting off I-15 on to CA-138(E)/CA-18(S) and heading through the San Bernardino Mountains would be a worthy diversion.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
18,112 posts
125 reviews
130 helpful votes
1. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

Hey there, LDN! Good to see you planning another trip.

The 138 is more scenic, although I'm not sure there's a lot to do. There is some easy hiking near Crestline (which is a cute little town). For me, eating at restaurant that's railroad/Bear themed (Bear Family Restaurant in Crestline) is better than eating at Denny's in Victorville.

The added value is, I think, the pine trees and the rock outcroppings as opposed to bumper to bumper freeway flying.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
45,968 posts
1,130 reviews
2,811 helpful votes
2. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

Denny's?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,632 posts
245 reviews
195 helpful votes
3. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

Thank you. I don't need a lot to do, anything, in fact. Avoiding bumper to bumper freeway flying is a good enough thing to do for me.

Lake Arrowhead...
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

EXTREMELY twisty for a couple of miles near Summit Valley, go slow and watch for drunk drivers from Silverwood. GO LEFT AT MILL ROAD at the top of 138 and watch for deer. MILL ROAD will cut off the darker sharp-turning part of Hwy 138 through Cedar Pines Park. MILL ROAD ends at Lake Drive: left takes you to Lake Gregory, right takes you to Hwy 18 (which becomes Waterman Rd in San Berdoo). I'd take a left, go 2 miles to Goodwins Market, get a Peppered Turkey Sub, go across the street to Lake Gregory and share the sandwich with the ducks, then head south again to Hwy 18 and San Berdoo. CHP are ALL over Crestline ticketing for seatbelts and taillights, so drive like a nun with seatbelt on along Lake Drive.

Sandown, New...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,984 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

Aunt Nancy -

Please check dates of previous posts prior to answering. Although your answer is both accurate and detailed our good friend (and newly married) LDN has already come and gone from his CA adventure.

Dr. Z

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,632 posts
245 reviews
195 helpful votes
6. Re: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Save

I have and I am! Hooray! But I didn't go through the mountains in the end... :(

Following drill's advice is definitely prudent but thank you. I hope the notes here help others and that you will look out for opportunities to reply to other posts soon.

Interestingly, what made you post? Considering you haven't in two and a half years...

Reply to: CA-138/CA-18 thru San B Mountains rather than I-15...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crestline