We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

There are so many different types of lodging in the monterey area, may i have some recommendations for mid dec (one or two nights) for a family of 5 with children aged 8-15, one of which is asthmatic, thus preferably totally non smoking, non pet friendly lodging. Would prefer carmel to monterey if possible, price range up to USD400 per night. Thanks so much

Level Contributor
36,169 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

You should be able to find some great rates in December. The Highland's Inn in the Carmel Highland's area is very nice, the rooms are very spacious and they have small kitchens and a living area with a fireplace in these rooms. You will have to drive into downtown Carmel, it's just a short distance away. www.carmelcalifornia.com is a nice website for this area.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Thank you but this is a hyatt hotel, its two bedroom suite is beyond our budget of USD 400 for the whole family. We prefer a inn or Band B type but they seem to be mostly pet friendly, such as carmel lodge, carmel country inn etc.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Here is a short list of Carmel B&Bs that are not pet-friendly. I don't know how current this is, and sometimes they change their policies, so be sure to double-check:

hotelguides.com/california/carmel-ca-near-be…

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Thank you so much. I have selected a few but cant decide on one particular one. Any comments of the following in term of location, rooms, breakfast etc? Carmel Lodge (Cottage), Carmel country Inn ( 2bedrooms suite), Cobblestones Inn (2bedrooms), Wayside inn (2 bedrooms suite) Dolphin Inn (2 bedrooms suite).

By the way, looking at the tripadvisor lodging category, what is the difference between hotel and bed and breakfast and inn?

Thanks.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Since I haven't stayed at any of these, I can't comment about the rooms and the breakfasts. All are in walking distance of downtown, so I think any of the locations would be good. Did you double-check about pets? I thought that Carmel Country Inn is pet-friendly--not sure about the others. In the lodging categories, hotel refers to a full-service hotel (restaurant and/or bar onsite, and so on), whlle B&B/Inn refers to smaller lodging with fewer rooms and a communal breakfast room/ living room.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

Most of the B&B's on the Monterey Peninsula are smaller properties with limited space and room size. They are geared more toward couples seeking romantic or quiet getaways rather than large families. You would need more than 1 room at most B&B lodgings to accommodate a family of 5, although there are a few with cottages that might work for you.

7. Re: suitable family lodging, allergic to dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 11:45
Get answers to your questions about Carmel
Recent Conversations