We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels on the water

rochester, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels on the water

Are there any hotels that are on the beach in Carmel-by-the-sea? I am booking a trip starting in Carmel and ending up in wine country. Thanks!!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels on the water

Unfortunately, no. There is nothing directly on the beach in Carmel. There are B&Bs that are within a block or two of the beach.

In Monterey, there is Monterey Beach Resort, which is the only hotel in the area directly on the beach. It's not upscale, but it's pleasant and the location is great.

Monterey Plaza Hotel and Monterey Bay Inn are both on the water and have very nice views. Monterey Plaza is especially nice and has a wonderful big patio on the water.

In Pacific Grove, there are some nice B&Bs across the street from the water that have terrific water views. Take a look at Green Gables Inn and Seven Gables Inn.

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels on the water

The Monterey Plaza and the Monterey Beach Resort are both nice choices for hotel right on the beach. We stayed at the Tickle Pink Inn last month for the second time, this is a very nice property with gorgeous oceanviews from all of the rooms. Lots of great amenities here, also. Hope this helps and let us know if you have further questions about the area. :)

rochester, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels on the water

Thank you both for your suggestions. Monterey is only about 10 minutes away, I think, so that would be great.

PGdenizen, if I do decide to stay in Carmel, do you know the names of a couple of nice b&b's that are very close to the beach?

Thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels on the water

Hi again. For B&Bs within 2 to 4 blocks of the beach, look at Seaview Inn (a friend of mine is the evening manager during the week, and she's wonderful), Lamp Lighter Inn, and Normandy Inn. Two B&Bs that consistently get very good reviews but are farther from the beach are Vagabond's House Inn and Carmel Wayfarer Inn. Now, keep in mind that Carmel is a small town, so from Vagabond's, for example, we're talking a 9-block walk to the beach. Check these out and then be sure to read the reviews of each on this site. Often the reviews are mixed, but you'll get a good sense of whether it's about poor quality or unrealistic expectations. Many people come here thinking that if they're paying $200 a night, they'll have luxury lodging. The rates here are high, especially in he summer, and with the B&Bs you are paying for charm and location. I'm not implying that these B&Bs are bad in any way, but look closely at the websites and read the reviews before deciding.

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels on the water

There is also Lobos Lodge and Colonial Terrace that are pretty close to the ocean. We loved our stay at La Playa in Carmel, a historic hotel that is just a short walk to the ocean. :)

London
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels on the water

I've booked for two nights at the Sea View Inn for the end of September. It was the only accommodation for our trip that I needed to telephone (rather than e-mail) and I enjoyed the friendly conversation with Tracey so much that I nearly booked for longer! That personal contact was great and cranked up the excitement for our forthcoming trip.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels on the water

Annie, I hope you enjoy the Seaview and the Carmel area.

8. Re: Hotels on the water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 03:49