We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambria Village or Beach

Maplewood, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Cambria Village or Beach

I will be traveling through Cambria with my husband and 18 month old on a coastal road trip. We are starting in LA and are planning on 2 nights in Santa Monica, 1 night in Pismo Beach, 3 nights in Cambria, 1 night in Big Sur, 1 night in Monterey and 1 night in SF. We typically book through VBRO/Homeaway/airbnb but all of those options seemed a bit far from the beach so we booked a room at Fireside Inn. It's considerably more affordable to stay closer to the village - just wanted to see if we are making the right call being closer to the beach. Living in the heart of NJ, we do appreciate an ocean view when we can get it :)

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

Cambria is lovely but with a young child I'd rather stay longer at Pismo Beach or Avila Beach. Beaches in Cambria are not the best imo.(boardwalk is great...) But if Cambria is set i stone the only place you can hear the ocean is at Moonstone beach where Fireside Inn is. Of course this is your trip but 3 days Cambria seem a long time for me compared to your stays in Monterey and San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Moonstone Beach
Moonstone Beach
1,475 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

I agree with Tet. One night in SF vs. 3 in Cambria (plus one in Pismo) is skewed IMO.

But then again, traveling with an 18 month old might not be conducive to city sightseeing.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Maplewood, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

Appreciate the insight! We have been to SF a few times which is why we didn't plan long there. I will look into staying in Monterey a bit longer. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

One night in SF isn't worth the hassle of getting into/out of the city. Concentrate your trip on the central coast and perhaps spend the last night in Half Moon Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,602 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

Pismo Beach and Cambria are only an hour apart from each other. Doesn't make much sense to move from one to the other. Kinda the same with Big Sur and Monterey. Where, exactly in Big Sur are you staying?

Monterey definitely deserves 2 nights. Just a lot to see/do there.

I would do 2 nights in either Pismo Beach or Cambria, 1 in Big Sur and 2 nights in Monterey.

WhiteDahlia's suggestion of ending your visit in Half Moon Bay is a good idea if visiting SF isn't really on your radar.

Should you decide on Cambria over Pismo, then staying on Moonstone Beach Drive would be my recommendation. The views there are very pretty. There just isn't a whole lot to do there with a child as young as yours.

www.classiccalifornia.com

www.cambriachamber.com

Edited: 22 June 2014, 04:20
Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Cambria
Cambria
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Moonstone Beach
Moonstone Beach
1,475 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Level Contributor
38,060 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

The Fireside Inn is very nice, great pool and jacuzzi there! :).

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
534 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

Cambria has surfers to watch, seals, beachcombing and in town (a 5 minute drive) places to walk around and window-shop. It's the kind of place to just relax and enjoy nature, whereas Pismo is more of a "beach town" atmosphere with lots of arcades and souvenir shops. In Cambria, you can drive north to Leffingwell Beach where there's a bluff with picnic tables, then drive a bit further and go to the Hearst Castle visitor's center where there's a free museum to walk through, if you enjoy museums and art. The elephant seal rookery is about 20 minutes north of Cambria.

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,960 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
8. Re: Cambria Village or Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 10:47