We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Trip Report

We only stayed one night in Cambria to o our Hearst Castle tour. We have been very lucky with the wonderful weather...no June goom except in Cambriia, which we actually liked. We stayed at the Fireside and it gave this part of our trip a different feel.

Hearst Castle...the views from below and on the mountain are too gorgeous to describe. It has to be experienced. My two boys ages 20 and 17 were speechless. Coming from Indiana, this was just unbelievable to them. I've lived in a country with mountains, but if you have never seen one, nor been on one...well this is quite the experience. I am so glad we went....please do yourself a favor and see the movie beforehand.

Another big suggestion. Either before (give yourself 2 hours, or after...right across the road from the entrance to the Castle is a restaurant called San Sebastions. The best sandwiches ever, and a wine tasting bat set up. It's a little quaint rustic place and you have to stand in line to order. You can go get yourself some wine while you wait. Cute tables right outside the p,ace, or an open area next to it where you can see horses and the mountains you can see the Castle on. Do yourself a favor and go here. The wait can be long at times, that is why I say give yourself time.

The elephant seal beach was so fun and funny to watch,

Fireside Inn was nice, clean, good free breakfast. Water grill down the Strret was nice to just be able to walk to. We didn't have time to check out th village.

The PCH tour was incredible and so glad we went south to north. I'm not sure i can do it again.

Stopped at Nepenthe for lunch....another highlight of my trip.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 04:57
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
1,019 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report

Thank you! San Sebastián sounds like a place we would enjoy. :).

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
31,352 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your review will also visit next time I am in the Bay area.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,103 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report

Actually it's Sebastian's General Store IN San Simeon. Just in case future visitors read this thread. And, yes, the sandwiches there are awesome! Glad you and your family enjoyed your visit.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for clarifying the name. It should be a must do. Literally, you can't miss it. It's straight across the 2 lane rd. from the Castle entrance. Just an outdoorsy, farm like feel. Sort of western inside. An actual bar to just settle up too if you don't want to eat...but the food is fantastic and many choices. I wish we had more time to spend there.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 07:19
5. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Cambria