We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making time for KBF

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Making time for KBF

My family and I plan to be in LA Thanksgiving week. We are tentatively planning to spend M-T-W at Disney and then go up to Santa Monica for the pier and beach on TG day. Just wondering though, if it might be better to just spend 2 days at Disney and give the 3rd to KBF. My kids are 9 and 13. The 9 year old can't think beyond DL and might be disappointed to leave but my 13 year old would probably enjoy the coasters as KBF. I also wonder if 3 days at DL might be a bit too much. Or, maybe we should consider KBF for TG instead of Santa Monica. I'm sure KBF it will be packed on TG but I've heard some say that it's a nice way to spend TG, especially with the restaurant there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making time for KBF

I would go to KBF on TG day. Have you confirmed what will be open at the SM Pier on TG Day?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making time for KBF

Pacific Park. 11-9. Probably not much else but I guess I don't understand exactly what is a part of the amusement park and what is separate.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making time for KBF

I would also choose KBF on Thanksgiving It is the first day of Knott's "Merry" Farm and has a full entertainment schedule as does the rest of the weekend. If you go prior to that you are actually cheating yourself. Choose a couple of coasters, Elf Mountain (Log Ride), the train, stagecoach and take it easy watching shows. The special buffet is probably booked up by now, so you might want to get the BBQ special adnission if offered. I think that includes turkey.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 03:26
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making time for KBF

If your main interest is in the amusement park at SM pier I would go to KBF, way better.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Making time for KBF

I, too, think Knott's is a nice alternative to Disneyland. However, you might not want to do it on Thanksgiving because according to another thread here, all the dinner slots are filled. Here is that thread, compliments of @darkbeer, which also gives alternatives around Disneyland:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k492350…

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making time for KBF

It may still be possible to make reservations at Claim Jumper restaurant on the corner across from Knott's (La Palma and Beach). To get there you would simply leave the park, each of you getting a hand stamp first at the exit, walk across the entrance plaza and up to La Palma, cross the street, and you are there. They have good service and ambiance and a nice Thanksgiving Day meal. Return to the park through Re-Entry next to the exit turnstile, showing your handstamp.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 08:25
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making time for KBF

Thanks for the good info. I'm now thinking of sticking with DL for the three days and doing TG at KBF. The meal's not really a priority for us anyway but it is nice to see some good options available. Claim Jumper definitely looks appealing. It really looks like the holiday events on TG would be a nice experience at KBF. I'm wary of how crowded things may be which is one reason I had thought of going to SM instead, that and just taking in a very different sort of atmosphere. I've already got tickets for a movie at El Capitan TG evening at 7 but am thinking we could probably cover KBF reasonably well between 10 and 5.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,041 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making time for KBF

Claim Jumper has huge portions, so if you're not a big eater, order carefully.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making time for KBF

Unfortunately, the tree lighing show at Knott's (which is very nice, imo) begins at 6 p.m. if they follow the same schedule as previous years. There may be a 7 or 7:30 ice show added to the earlier ones. As with DL, one of the best ways to enjoy yourselves on a crowded day is to give yourselves enough time there not to feel rushed and annoyed at long lines. Do you think maybe you would like a refund on the theater tickets? There is probably a way.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 11:03
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making time for KBF

Tickets say no refunds and no exchanges. That's okay. We'll have a nice show either way. There are certainly worse problems to have.