We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plakias Wind

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Plakias Wind

Does anyone have any advice of where to go when the wind in Plakias is so bad using the beach is impossible and even the hotel pool becomes a challenge?

We tried Souda beach today but that was too windy to stay at as well. Didn't help when the back of the sunbed blew up and hit my other half in the face when he was trying to secure the towel (thank goodness for the pegs we bought in Stalis)

Plakias is a lovely place and our accommodation first rate, but this wind has meant I'm unlikely to return

7 replies to this topic
Chania Prefecture...
Destination Expert
for Almyrida, Crete
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plakias Wind

I suggest you try Damnoni or Ammoudi, these lovely little beaches are more sheltered than the big expanse of Souda. There several beaches along this stretch & they often faces away from the prevailing winds. Note that Damnoni is naturist at one end, there is a German naturist hotel there.

Take a look at Cretanbeaches.com for details & directions

cretanbeaches.com/index.php/en/sea-tourism/c…

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plakias Wind

Many thanks- we've retired back to the pool today but will definitely take a drive down there tomorrow. The pool is very nice but the beach will always be my first choice

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plakias Wind

We ended up at the restaurant end of the beach yesterday, much smaller but wind doesn't blow what sand there is there !

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plakias Wind

Is Damanoni and Ammoudi within walking distance of Plakias?

Edited: 26 August 2016, 23:18
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,049 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plakias Wind

Yes, they're both within walking distance - providing you enjoy walking. I walked as far as Preveli one day - though that was quite a long walk.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Plakias Wind

Hi,

We are also about to visit Plaikias in a few days and are a bit concerned about the wind...

Are Damnoni and Ammoudi actually provides shelter in case Plakias is windy?

Also, is Plakias considered more windy comparing to other places in the south east coast?

Thanks,

Amir

kdp
london
Level Contributor
92 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plakias Wind

Our experience is if the wind is blowing in Plakias it just as bad in Damnoni sorry to say. We just go to the taverna and have a very long lunch, it always windy in August we find. The other side of the island can be ok so worth a drive but check first!

Also Damnoni beach is not naturist the beach beyond it is and the hotel is certainly not we have stayed at it 4 times trust me 😂😂😂

Reply to: Plakias Wind
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Plakias
Recent Conversations