We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to scooter, or not to scooter??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
to scooter, or not to scooter??

hi, ive never driven on the left side of a the road, and dont want to start now. I would be too nervous. I was going to use public transport, but someone at my work has suggested hiring a scooter. What do you all think? I am staying in plakias, in the south. It sounds a fun compromise, but i dont want to take unnecessary risks

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

Hi Carol,

First we drive on the left in the UK and in Greece it is on the right.

Now have a look at your travel insurance. Most companies exclude the use of scooters, quads etc. The insurance you get with the vehicle covers anybody and anything you may hit and sometimes the vehicle itself. If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident then you and any passengers are not covered for medical costs. Should you be unlucky enough to need an emergency flight home then you are looking at thousands of ££s.

It is 10 years since I was in Crete so I cannot comment on how busy the roads are.

Bob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

good point, thanks. Food for thought

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

Scooter only if you are an experienced driver...

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

...and even if you are, accidents to scooter-drivers are frequent and nasty. I wouldn't, if I were you. it's a compromise, certainly, but not a safe one. Even without the insurance issues, you'd be far safer driving a car.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
372 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

Hi caroljam

I see from your earlier post that you are nervous about driving a car on Crete (because of driving on the right), I would be wary of doing so with a scooter. Not only are you more vulnerable to serious injury if involved in an accident, you will not know the roads and maybe the rules of the road (some things like turning at junctions can be confusing!). Alongside this some local drivers drive fast so all round this makes it more risky than driving a rental car. And finally, as stated by travelbob31, your travel insurance will probably not cover you in the event of an accident.

Edited: 04 June 2016, 09:28
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

If you don't feel confident to drive a car on the right then why on earth would you think of driving a scooter, also on the right and subject to all the same road conditions and risks, but far more vulnerable?

7. Re: to scooter, or not to scooter??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Plakias