We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

Hello!

We shall spend a week in Plakias in July, and I would like to go once to Elafonissi beach. Are there any excursions? If not, how much would a taxi cost? I don't want to drive myself there, as I'm frightened on mountain roads. Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
347 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

Don't think that there any excursions to Elafonissi from Plakias, I think a taxi would be very expensive, the best way, in my opinion would be to get the bus to Hora Sfakion, catch a ferry to Paleochora and get on the boat that leaves from the harbour there to Elafonnissi and return. I should imagine that you would possibly have to stay over for two nights in Paleochora but it is a lovely place!

and

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

Hi,

The buses from Plakias only go to Rethymno and Preveli. You can't get to Chora Sfakion by bus unfortunately. As far as I am aware there are no excusions to Elafonissi. However there are excusions to other places, including Gramvousa and Balos. Look up Anso Travel. There are also minibus trips to various places, which I have really enjoyed (Elena Tours).

Taxis 4 You is a Plakias company and their website advertises taxi excursions around Crete. Elafonissi is Euro 320 per taxi! I suppose that is a full day tour, so you have to pay the taxi driver for their time. Their contact details are on the website and I am sure they would be happy to give you more information. You could get a taxi to Chora Sfakion, then the ferry to Paleochora, but check the ferry timetable. As Spotttt suggests, you may need to stay over.

You can get boat trips from Plakias to some of the neighbouring beaches, if you are wanting a trip out. However, if you want to get to Elafonissi, then I don't suppose anything else will be an adequate substitute for you.

Plakias is a relaxing place - once you get there, you may never want to leave!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,471 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

You could take buses to Rethymnon, then Chania, and bus from Chania to Elafonisi. I doubt it would be possible to do this in a day: you'd have to spend at least one night in Chania, possibly two, depending on the bus schedules.

The south coast isn't a practical option. It would take you all day to get from Chora Sfakion to Paleochora (there is only one ferry from Agia Roumeli to Paleochora, at 5.30pm). You'd have to spend two nights in Paleochora, and it would then take you just about the whole of the next day to get back to Chora Sfakion.

Worth it? Not for me, it wouldn't be. Far too much effort and time to see a once-beautiful, peaceful beach covered in sunbeds and loads of tour buses.

If you want to see and swim from a beautiful sandy beach you can get from Plakias to Frangokastello by taxi in an hour or less, and spend a very enjoyable day there without all the hassle. Or be content with Plakias. Elafonisi is too far, too popular, and completely impractical to get to.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

Thank you everyone- lots of good ideas/insights... I think I'll leave Elafonissos for the next trip!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

hi, that was my question too!! I am also staying in plakias in july, and was thinking of going to E beach. But after reading your replies, i will wait for another trip.

Thanks for asking - and we all got useful info

carol

6. Re: How to go to Elafonissi from Plakias

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Plakias