We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Good morning All.

Good old Olympic have changed my already dreadful flights to an even worse time so I am thinking of changing the dates totally to get better times. The only availability I can get for the same hotel is the 25th Sept to 8th Oct but I have a couple of concerns, mainly because I've been going to Skiathos for so long, I know what to expect there at this time of the year.

Firstly, are the nights likely to be chilly? and is Plakias winding down, that is, are the Tavernas starting to close down. I know its a quiet resort which is why we chose it but I would like a choice of places to eat and drink.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Hi there

I can't tell you about Plakias as I have only stated in July, but I can tell you about the weather as I visit Crete at this time every year - the weather can never be guaranteed 100% - but usually yes it's still warm at night, I usually take out a light cardi but rarely need it even when sitting late at night by the sea...and the sea is just the very best at this time of year too - you may get a few hours of cloud ....but still beach days every day.

Hopefully someone will,post who stays in Plakias at this time, but having stayed in many places across the island at this time I wouldn't hesitate to re book :-)

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

It looks me good dates. I was in Plakias begin April and a lot of restaurants were open.There are also a lot of supermarkts in Plakias.May be you have only two bus a day from plakias than is better to have your own transport to visit other beaches and places.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Thank you for the quick responses, sounds positive, will wander up to the Travel agents later, see whats available and then the hard part convincing my husband!!!

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Very good dates. The end of September/beginning of October is one of the best times to be in Crete: it's still warm and sunny, but no longer too hot to move around, and still good to lie on the beach and swim in water that is almost as warm as in August. It can become unsettled at this time of year, but you'd be unlucky to have more than a cloudy afternoon or two and a couple of spots of rain.

I wouldn't hesitate: it could even be a better choice than your original one, whatever it was. And, very likely, better weather-wise than Skiathos: Crete is a good deal further south, the southern-most point of Europe.

Edited: 17 May 2016, 15:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

I also meant to say that although I haven't stayed in Plakias, I'm sure it won't be winding down. I've never known any of the south west coast villages to start winding down that early. The season doesn't end until the end of October, and will still be in - nearly - full swing when you are there. So you won't run into an end-of-the-summer doldrum, or that disconsolate feeling you get when in an emptying-out resort. It will still be lively - for a quiet place - with people enjoying themselves in the tavernas and on the beach.

Edited: 17 May 2016, 15:23
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Yes, I agree. there is a reason why the season is shorter in Skiathos than Crete. the weather should still be lovely - mid 20s, not cloudless but a fair amount of sun every day. Maybe a shower every few days, nothing more.

These were taken on 8th October last year:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskiLgU97

Edited: 17 May 2016, 15:52
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Thank you ,feel better for hearing your views. To be honest the first time we ever went to Crete ,we went the last two of October and we were on the beaches most days and the evenings only got really chilly as we approached November.

Waiting for a delivery at the moment but as soon asits here I'm off to the travel agent.

Thanks again.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Just to let you know ,after reading your advice, we have changed our holiday, now going out on the 27th Sept, so hoping its still pleasant weather. Cost me £70 to change but well worth it for the morning flights.

Cheers everyone.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

Have a wonderful holiday :-)

10. Re: Last week Sept/firstweek Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Plakias