We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife,water sports

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife,water sports

Hi,

I am travelling to crete in late June for 10 days with my girlfriend and another couple, all in our early twenties.we are trying to pick a Resort and we like the look of the beaches in plakias.we are wondering what the nightlife is like (not looking for anything like malia ) but would like good nightlife with music though.also are water sports readily available (jet skiing,diving etc ) and are quads available to rent nearby.thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife,water sports

Hi, I have been to Plakias virtually every year for almost 30 years. I wasn't in my early 20s when I started and am nowhere near it now! But young at heart maybe.

It is not a big place and nothing like Malia - you can walk round the village in around 20 minutes or so. There are maybe around 20 tavernas in the village itself and several more on the surrounding beaches. Good quality on the whole and very reasonable prices compared to bigger resorts. About half a dozen bars to pick from - some laid back but a few with music playing into the early hours. Several supermarkets and a few other shops but if you are looking for serious shopping you would be disappointed.

The main draw for many is the spectacular scenery, good walks, laid back atmosphere and a choice of half a dozen superb beaches all within walking distance. No water sports are allowed on the main beach but some are available at nearby Damnoni (maybe a bit limited - no paragliding) But there is superb diving at nearby Skinaria (office in Plakias). Also various boat trips to different beaches leave from the harbour every day.

A word of warning Plakias can get very windy at times and the main beach might not be viable. However the other beaches nearby are much more sheltered.

I'm not trying to put you off - if you are happy with good days on the beach, nice places to eat and a few late night bars which can be quite lively, you wil be fine. If you are looking for more maybe it's not for you.

Scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife,water sports

Hi, I have been to Plakias virtually every year for almost 30 years. I wasn't in my early 20s when I started and am nowhere near it now! But young at heart maybe.

It is not a big place and nothing like Malia - you can walk round the village in around 20 minutes or so. There are maybe around 20 tavernas in the village itself and several more on the surrounding beaches. Good quality on the whole and very reasonable prices compared to bigger resorts. About half a dozen bars to pick from - some laid back but a few with music playing into the early hours. Several supermarkets and a few other shops but if you are looking for serious shopping you would be disappointed.

The main draw for many is the spectacular scenery, good walks, laid back atmosphere and a choice of half a dozen superb beaches all within walking distance. No water sports are allowed on the main beach but some are available at nearby Damnoni (maybe a bit limited - no paragliding) But there is superb diving at nearby Skinaria (office in Plakias). Also various boat trips to different beaches leave from the harbour every day.

A word of warning Plakias can get very windy at times and the main beach might not be viable. However the other beaches nearby are much more sheltered.

I'm not trying to put you off - if you are happy with good days on the beach, nice places to eat and a few late night bars which can be quite lively, you wil be fine. If you are looking for more maybe it's not for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife,water sports

i like plakias but don;t think it is what you are looking for. I think at your ages you would be bored. Platanias and agia marina are lively and good beach. More to do and can go into lovely chania

4. Re: Nightlife,water sports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Plakias