We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

We have booked a holiday in Plakias with Olympic and have heard their coach transfer can take up to 4 hours due to number of stops en route! Consequently we're thinking of hiring a car. What are the roads like from the airport to Plakias? I believe we would be on a main road for some of the journey but are concerned about driving on scarey mountain roads.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Hi there

All transfers can vary enormously in time taken. Back when we would go on package trips, the ride from Iraklion airport to Anissaras could take anything from 30 minutes if we were the first set downs, to two hours if the coach had to set down in resorts along the way. It is a good way to see the island from ahigh but I think I would draw the line at anything over two hours.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Thanks for taking the time to advise, everyone! Realised both trips to and from the airport would be during hours of darkness, night time arrival, early morning departure, so decided against driving. Transfers took approx three and three quarter hours. Five pick ups enroute both ways. Got minibus from airport and comfortable coach on way back. Coach was preferable as we were able to doze a little! Don't think we would do it again though. Liked Plakias but too hot for us in September so not able to travel round much.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Just visiting this forum for the 1st time as we are looking to book for next September. Have to say that the flight times and the long transfer are the stumbling block at the moment. I think the transfer wouldn't be too bad in daylight but the flight times are horrendous from Manchester. I have priced day time flights but they double the price of the holiday!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,251 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Welcome to the Crete Forums Elias :-) It might be worth waiting for the Manchester to Heraklion flights to come out as at the moment their Thursday flight is an early morning flight and book your accommodation seperately.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Thank you ,I'm not going to rush to book and will look at all options, is it easy to book a transfer online?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Elias, have you considered Ryanair from Manchester to Chania?

This year they have been flying 2 or 3 times a week. I'm not sure about the other days, but the Tuesday flight arrives at lunchtime so no problems with darkness.

Chania airport is a lot less crowded than Heraklion and although it's a further drive to get to the national highway, it is reasonably straightforward. Once you're on the national highway you just turn off at the same junction near Rethymnon. Distance-wise they are very similar.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure you can book a shuttle-type transfer to Plakias from Heraklion (or Chania for that matter).

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

I'm not aware of any shuttle service you can book privately. Ours was part of our package. A taxi costs around €100 each way from Heraklion anyway, so may be worth hiring a car instead!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Thanks for the advise, waiting for September flights to be announced but if the transfer is so expensive will have to consider the package because it might take a lot of persuasion to get my hubby to hire a car!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

I've just done a few dummy bookings with Hoppa, A2B and Transfers 4U. It seems that none offer a minibus or coach transfer to Plakias but use cars which makes for seriously expensive transfers. All three want around €450 for the return transfer from Heraklion which is ridiculous. It's a bit less from Chania but still silly money when you consider that a return taxi ride from Heraklion is showing as €236 from and €204 from Chania.

30. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Plakias