We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

We have booked a holiday in Plakias with Olympic and have heard their coach transfer can take up to 4 hours due to number of stops en route! Consequently we're thinking of hiring a car. What are the roads like from the airport to Plakias? I believe we would be on a main road for some of the journey but are concerned about driving on scarey mountain roads.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

The road is really easy. From the airport you would drive up the National Highway to Rethymnon and then cut off again on a main road towards Spili before cutting off to Plakias which again is a decent road.

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Many thanks for info. Good to hear roads are OK. Would you recommend a sat nav for getting around generally? What is Plakias region like to drive around?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Call me old fashioned but I like a good old detailed map.......however and it's a big however, if you are planning to explore the villages etc, up in the White Mountains then definitely go for a Sat Nav as signs are minimal and even though I am normally pretty good at getting around, this year I was so glad we had Sat Nav :-)

sligo
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Hi,

I would agree with goanjock that you are on relatively good roads all the way to Plakias. This is the turn off you will have to keep an eye out for

https://goo.gl/maps/g7Axj

Gerlion is a local & DE on Crete and makes a good point to keep an eye out for the windmill which will be on your left coming from Rethymnon, if you pass the windmill you have gone too far.

I have never found a need for a satnav on Crete but others I am sure prefer them.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Hi there

I agree with bobojnr ..we never use a sat nav in Crete, preferring to use a good road map, and we like to have a break from a sat nav on our holiday too....having use them every day at home :-) and the road markings and roads are very good in Crete :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Thanks for your prompt replies. So good to have advice from people who know the area. After watching Rick Stein in Greece last night, can't wait to go!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

If sticking to the normal tourist routes then maps will be absolutely fine but trust me if exploring off the beaten track in the West of Crete (we didn't need Sat Nav at all in the East) and heading into the White Mountains I would go for Sat Nav without question as there are almost no signs or road markings at all.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Hi there

Yes wasn't the Rick Stein programme wonderful :-) :-) looking forward to next weeks :-)

I really don't think you will have a problem with driving or navigation in the east or the west :-) and having driven over much of Crete over the last 12 years of visiting, including the White Mountains ....we have only ever used a map :-) save your money :-) :-)

Have a wonderful time in Crete :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

Have had some frightening experiences on mountain roads so would be apprehensive about exploring off the beaten track.

Thanks for good wishes, MG100 :)

Edited: 31 August 2015, 02:51
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road from Heraklion airport to Plakias

You'll be absolutely fine with a map then and have a fantastic adventure in Crete :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Get answers to your questions about Plakias
Recent Conversations