We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Plakias for us?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is Plakias for us?

We are a couple of young at heart 40-somethings who are thinking of going to this resort in August for a couple of weeks.

Will there be enough bars and restaurants for us?

What's the beach like - and the prices?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Plakias for us?

You are talking about Plakias Crete right. We stayed at a pension directly across from the ocean and absolutely loved it. We stayed at Plakias for 4 nights Plakias itself lacks the charm of the lovely whitewashed Greek towns on all the postcards but it is there to provide servicee to all the people who come for the 3 kilometer long crescent beach. There are lots of good tavernas along the waterfront. One of my favorite memories was a mini market along the main road that had a water fountain filled with wine. You could take a little sample and then fill up two liter plastic bottle of wine. The ultimate in convenience and pretty green as you bring your bottle back for refills. I honestly can not comment on prices although a few years ago it was very inexpensive and from what I understand prices will not have gone up much becauesnofnrecent economic events

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,043 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Plakias for us?

We've been to Plakias 3 times & our last trip was September last year. We've only ever been for a week but there are ample tavernas for us. We're more into walking than nightlife & the only bar we went to is the bar at the Kostas Chrsoulla. Angelo the bar man assured me there are late bars there if you want them & it will be livelier in August than June or late September when I've been.

Prices in Plakias are very reasonable, it's one of the cheaper Greek destinations that I've been to.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Plakias for us?

Thanks for your responses - they have been helpful

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Plakias for us?

Hi Sharon,

We have been to Plakias twice and loved it. We stayed at Dora Studios, which is a five minute walk from the smaller beach to the west. It is a long way from the airport at Heraklion, but well worth it. The best tavernas are out the way down the back streets or just outside the village. It's small enough to have the old Greek feel, but still has modern facilities. Our favourite place is the beach bar about half way along the main beach. It is lovely sitting there in the early hours listening to great music and sipping chilled Alfa beer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
146 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Plakias for us?

Hi, I've been a regular visitor to Plakias for 20+ years. Wonderful scenery and a choice of around half a dozen superb beaches within walking distance - this is useful if the wind picks up in Plakias (which it does) as the beaches outside the village tend to be much more sheltered.

The village itself has a good choice of restaurants with low prices compared to the bigger towns/resorts and a handful of bars. Also several supermarkets and a couple of bakers.

I've never been in high season but I think you will find it a laid back sort of place but with enough going on to keep you occupied. If you are looking for frantic nightlife, watersports or organised entertainment you'd be better off elsewhere.

If you decide to go enjoy!

P.S. If you do decide to go, try Lysseos restaurant in the middle of the village by the bridge. My favourite.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Plakias for us?

try trhis hotel, www.kalypsohotels.com , nice situated just outside of Plakias or Damnoni beach

7. Re: Is Plakias for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Plakias
Recent Conversations