We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking and beaches

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Walking and beaches

Hi, We're considering Plakias for 10 nights in June. We're Grecophiles, and have visited different parts of Greece and the islands c30 times. We like to get about on foot, walking to beaches and in the countryside - happy to walk for 1.5 hours each way, but not big mountain climbs. In the evening we like traditional tavernas.

Any advice on whether Plakias may be for us would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ruth

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
5 replies to this topic
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking and beaches

I spent eight nights in Plakias last summer,End of July/early August. I really enjoyed the area walked to Souda beach one day and Damnomi (possible spelling error) another.Easy walks there and back I would recommend the area to anyone. I was travelling solo so didn't explore off the beaten track although the hills behind the town give breathtaking views and the villages good tavernas to refuel.

Mentioned in this post
Souda beach
Souda beach
202 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking and beaches

Absolutely made for you !!!

Lovely beaches, great tavernas and great walking too.

If you can get a copy of the late Lance Chiltern's walks you will find some great walks.

There are a couple of villages above Plakias - Myrtios and another ! that you can walk to and half way up there is a path/track that follows a flattish route alongside an irrigation channel through olive groves and allotments bringing you out at Lefkoyia where you will find a couple of places for refreshments.

Worthing, West...
Level Contributor
31 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking and beaches

Everything you want in your list is in and around Plakias, but it will probably be hot in June, not a major problem if you set out prepared and the heat is something you can take (in your stride!)

We are not walkers, so cannot recommend anywhere in particular, but we have been going to Plakias for about 18 years, and see lots of people on walking holidays, so it is particularly suited to that sort of holiday.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking and beaches

There are some lovely walks around Plakias and the Lance Chiltern book mentioned above has 17 walks, some are quite lengthy but there are several shorter ones too - it is an excellent book. I particularly enjoy the walks to Myrthios and Sellia which have stunning views over Plakias and the surrounding countryside. I also have a Selena Cretan Guide on Plakias which has some useful information in it. I think I probably bought mine in Plakias, I'm not sure if you can buy it online.

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking and beaches

Thanks to everyone for your advice and information about the area, definitely looks like our sort of place!

Reply to: Walking and beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Plakias
Recent Conversations