We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangra Devi Visit

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kangra Devi Visit

I am planning to go to Kangra in end of October from Delhi via train with my brother and mother. Please help me to plan it. Since there are very few reviews on site, so I am taking help of TA.

As far as I found and came to know that Train will drop me at Chakki Bak, which is 2 KM from Pathankot. Please help me getting following queries resolved.

- New Delhi to Chakki Bank by train. Chakki Bank to Kangra via taxi. is it best way ?

- How is the taxi service from Chankki Bank to Kangra ? And its fare/duration ?

- Are Jwala Ji temple, Kangra Mandir and Chamunda Devi temple same ? Basically i want to go to Nagarkot Devi, not sure which temple related to.

- Once I reach kangra, how much time should it require to get darshan and get free.

Regards

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Hi,

Shall answer your queries:

1. You are right. nearest broad gauge line from Kangra is Chakki Bank with good connectivity to Delhi. At Chakki bank, there are plenty of taxis available just outside the station & you could hire one for Kangra. It is the fastest way, shall take about 2 hours for journey, however not the cheapest. One way fare b/n chakki bank & kangra would be b/n 1500-1800, depending on season, time etc. Alternate way of reaching Kangra is to go to Pathankot bus stop & take a bus from there. Total time for this option would be approx. 4 hrs including some waiting time at bus stop.

2. Jwalaji Temple, Kangra mandir & Chamunda ji are all different shrines. There is Mata Brijeshwari temple in Kangra town, also referred as nagarkot dham. Chamunda devi temple is 25 kms north-east of Kangra while Jwalaji Temple is 35 kms south of Kangra.

3. Once you are in Kangra, darshan time depends on the season. Typically 2-3 hrs are enough & during navratras, this could be more...

Best,

Ashish

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Thanks Ashish for complete reply. I have few more questions, please help in them as well.

She will be reaching Chakki Bank 28th Oct (Sunday), early morning. Then taxi to Brijesjhwari temple. Her return will be on 29th via train (13:05 from Chakki Bank).

- Will it be possible for them to take darshan and get a quick trip to Dharmshala after that ? Since, they are going till kangra, it will be good, if they can get a glimpse of that beatiful place also.

- If not Dharmshala, will it be possible to cover Jwalaji Temple, Kangra mandir, Chamunda ji and Brijeshwari Devi in single day after reaching Chakki Bank at 6:00 AM ?

- Will that time be a rainy season ?

- Instead of taxi, if they take train from Pathankot to Kangra, is it too crowded ? (Traveller will be mummy 60 years, mamaji 64 years and brother 32 years)

Regards

Abhishek

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Sure, would be glad to help you on your queries further:

1. Yes, its possible to finish the dharshan & do a quick trip to mcleodganj & see the main temple(right next to HH dalai lama's palace) & market. Not more than that though. What i suggest is they can take a taxi & reach Kangra. Finish dharshan by say 12 in the afternoon & head towards dharamsala. They can spend the night in dharamsala/mcleodganj itself, since there are far better options to stay compared to Kangra. Next morning, they can take a taxi back to Chakki bank from their hotel. Travel time is approx. 2 hrs. However, its going to be a hectic day.

2. Alternatively, they can go to Jwalaji after finishing Kangra & stay there itself before leaving for Pathankot the next morning. Chamunda devi temple is in the opposite direction & might be difficult to see the same day along with other two temples.

3. October end is not rainy season.

4. Trains b/n Pathankot & Kangra take longer, around 4.5 to 5 hours. They will spend most of the time travelling, if they travel by trains. All the boogies are of unreserved type(non ac/non luxury), however not always crowded. You can check the link below for train timings b/n Pathankot & Kangra

http://erail.in/

Edited: 04 September 2012, 13:05
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Ashish Ji, what should be fare of taxi from Chakki Bank to Kangra ?

How far is Brijeshwari Devi temple (Nagarkot Dham) from the taxi drop point ? And also from Kangra railway station (In case, if they opt to go by train)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Taxi fare b/n Chakki Bank & Kangra would be approx 1500-2000.

The temple is around 600-800 mts away(15 mins) from the taxi drop point, which needs to be covered on foot.

There are 2 stations in Kangra. Kangra mandir station is 2 kms from mandir & Kangra station is approx. 5 kms away.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Thanks. Finally, I come up with this plan. Please check, if it is doable

28-Oct - Himsagar Express from Delhi (21:00) to Chakki Bank.

29-Oct - Reached Chakki Bank at 6:00 AM. Take local train from Pathankot to Kangra Mandir. Have darshan and taxi to Dharmshala. After reaching Dharmshala in evening, stay overnight.

30-Oct - Get taxi from Dharmshala to Pathankot in evening. Get Dhaulagar Express (22:30) to Delhi

31-Oct - Reched Delhi in morning 7 AM

If it is good, please tell me what should be taxi duration/rate from Nagarkot Dham to Dharmshala ? And then Dharmshala to Pathankot next day ?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

I suggest another change in your plan since you are planning to take train from Ptk late in the night.

28th Oct : As you Mentioned

29th Oct : After finishing darshan in Kangra, you should head to Jwalaji & do dharshan there also. Finish darshan by evening & take a taxi to dharamsala(taxi will go via Kangra). Distance b/n jwalaji & dharamsala is approx 50 kms & time would be 1 hr 30 mins. Fare would be around 1000.

30th Oct : See the dalai lama temple & mcleodganj market in the first half. Visit bhagsu nag temple also. Leave for Pathankot in evening around 6:30. Distance b/n mcleodganj & pathankot is 90 kms & it takes about 2 hrs 15 mins by car. Taxis charge about 2000 for one way drop.

31st Oct : Back to Delhi

Distance b/n Kangra & dharamsala is 16 kms(half an hour by car) & taxis would charge you about 400-500 for this trip....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Thanks Ashish. It is really a great help.

I didn't had any idea about where abouts of this place. And now I am so confident that there will not be any miss in my plan. This is only possible with your help.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Always welcome. I am just trying to help people here....

Best,

Ashish

Noida, Uttar...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Kangra Devi Visit

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. Can u please also tell how far it is pathankot junction from chakkki bank ?