We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla hike questions

Coombs
Level Contributor
732 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Gorilla hike questions

Hi, we are going on a gorilla hike in both Uganda and Rwanda in Feb. I am wondering about gators. I am trying to bring only the bare necessities with me, carry on luggage for six week trip, and so don't want to bring anything that I don't absolutley need to.

I know what they look like, but never used them. A friend will actually lend me a pair if I deicide to bring them. Will I need them for mud or stinging nettle protection?

I would love feed back from those who have done these treks with, and without them for your opinions. I did pick up a pair of leather gloves today which I will bring with me.

Thanks very much.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Dear Travelling55,

I went for gorilla tracking on 15th June this year(I still dream about that day)and I didn't have gaitors or gloves(I grew up from there). As long as you tuck your trousers in your hiking boots, you should be good to go. You definitely need gloves. Gaitors will help protect your trousers from mud and greeny colours in case you fall.

Enjoy your 'Date' with the gorillas

tennessee
Level Contributor
273 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Gaitors are not a necessity. Tuck pants into hiking socks and save the space in you luggage. That worked fine for me.

Coombs
Level Contributor
732 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorilla hike questions

thank you both. That was was I was hoping to hear

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Gators can be very useful and often clients tell us they wish they had brought some. A lot depends on the difficulty of the trek, if there has recently been rain, and if there are safari ants. If you don't have space you will survive without them, but you may have a little regret that you did not make space for them.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorilla hike questions

The company supplied them for us! I also took a tough pair of gardening gloves as well which were useful. Make sure you hire a porter! Good luck and enjoy.

Coombs
Level Contributor
732 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorilla hike questions

thank you both

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Hi what your company did you use and would you recommend them? Thanks

E B
Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Gators, no. Gloves, not necessary. Walking sticks are provided.

Coombs
Level Contributor
732 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorilla hike questions

Thank you. A friend lent me her gaiters and they don't take up any room so will bring them anyhow. I did buy some leather garden gloves too. I will report back if I felt I needed the,

10. Re: Gorilla hike questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2017, 11:47