We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

California
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

I'm not exactly sure where to post this question so I'm starting here. Hope no one minds.

I'm planning a trip to Africa (solo female 50 yrs). I'm climbing Kili then a few days rest and game drive in Tarangire, Ngorongoro & Serengetti.

From there I wanted to do a gorilla trek but can't decide on Uganda, Rwanda or DCR. Of course, I am aware of conflict in DRC so I'm not going in blindly and I am also aware of the different permit prices in each of the countries.

What I don't know, would be which would be the better place to view them?

It seems that Uganda is overflowing with tourists wanting to track the gorillas.

Rwandas permit prices are crazy and I thought the DRC would be a nice alternative. Less crowds and a massive jungle, not to mention the volcano. Am I crazy? I went to the visitverunga.org page and they have a lot of great suggestions and options for guides, transport and accommodation. Thoughts? Tips and/or advice?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

From Serengeti there are scheduled flights to Kigali in Rwanda so it will save time if you fly out from there rather than back track by road all the way to Kilimanjaro for a flight to either Entebbe or Kigali for the Gorillas.

Viewing the Gorilla group is good at all locations. Some say it is an easier climb in Rwanda but that has not been my experience.

It is not my experience either that Uganda is overflowing with tourists as no doubt several TOs on here can confirm.

Mentioned in this post
Kigali
Kigali
Kigali Province, Rwanda
Entebbe
Entebbe
Central Region, Uganda
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
California
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Thanks @mfuwe! I was wondering exactly that! How to get from Serengetti to any one of the three other countries. Good to know there is a flight from Serengetti to Rwanda. Do you happen to know how to go about booking a flight out from the airstrip (airport?) in Serengetti?

Could I also get a flight from Serengetti to Goma in DRC?

I'm not worried about the climb to see the gorillas as I will have just finished climbing Kili and I think just about anything else will be moderate by comparison.

My climb will be a charity climb (still in the planning phase) of which I can choose any charity I want to raise money for. Right now Im looking at choosing Virunga National Park and the many areas they need help with namely, rangers, APU, gorillas, elephants, APU bloodhounds etc). So, Im leaning towards a gorilla trek in DRC but thought I would check all of my options before deciding.

Do you also moderate the Virunga, DRC forum? Is there anything I should know? Tips, advice, suggestions?

Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Your Agent in Arusha will know how to book your flight from Serengeti to Kigali. www.coastal.cc should give the schedule.

Nothing to Goma that I know of.

Yes after "Little Friend" a climb to the Gorillas should not tax you to much but there are no marked trails. You are deep in the bush.

I am not 'on' DRC forum. I have only visited once and that was 'unofficial'.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Kigali
Kigali
Kigali Province, Rwanda
California
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Thank you! This helps a lot.

Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Hi Eva

Uganda 's Gorilla tourist destinations are not crowded t all. UWA has created new tourists centres to enable accessibility to Gorillas .

Your T' O in Serengeti can organise your freight to Kihihi air field , and this will save you time and expenses.

Thanks

Howard

papyrusforest@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Howard. I don't think Kihihi can accept international flights so a change of plane in Entebbe would be needed for Immigration etc.,.

Happy to be told different.

Mentioned in this post
Entebbe
Entebbe
Central Region, Uganda
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

My Only experience is in Uganda this year but I would say it was not crowded at all. I did 2 days in Uganda of gorilla trekking. Day one at the meeting point we had about 4 groups of about 8 people each, we all went to different groups, so it never felt crowded. Next day only one group of about 6 of us at meeting place. Although NOT scientific in my conversations with travellers from Rwanda, they seemed to trek quite long distances, in my case in Uganda we hiked about 1 hour each day to arrive at gorillas.

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

To build on what Canuck says. The actual gorilla trekking is never crowded. The rule is maximum 8 people per group. You must never outnumber the Gorilla family. So don't be concerned that you may be in a huge party jostling for a good view. You won't. There will be your party of up to eight, the main ranger and maybe a helper. Plus the Gorilla family as hosts.

California
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Great! Thank you for the tips!!

DenHaag, Holland
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gorilla trek, Uganda, Rwanda or DRC

Hello I am in Dar es Salaam, and interested to go later this week for a 2 days gorilla trek to Rwanda, and vsit the capital too. I am a female.. The rountrip ticket from dar es salaam to Kigali cost 180 US$ let me know if you still want to join me.

Mentioned in this post
Kigali
Kigali
Kigali Province, Rwanda