We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla trek rain gear

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
gorilla trek rain gear

I'll be in Uganda in early Dec. 2012 and tracking the gorillas for 2 days. I'm an experienced traveler and this is my 3rd trip to Africa. I'll take several pair of the Colombia zip off pants and rain jacket / hiking boots. Would it be wise to bring rain pants as well? I want to pack as light as possible for this trip but want to have what I'll find I need.

Thanks!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: gorilla trek rain gear

I don't have waterproof trousers and debated getting some for the trip but figured, I live in Ireland, it rains. If I don't need them at home would I really need them in Uganda?

So I didn't get any. We did two treks - one in Uganda and one in Rwanda and didn't need waterproof trousers. In Uganda there were showers both days we were at Buhoma but in the afternoon. One afternoon we did the 3 hour forest walk and it rained the whole time. Whilst I was glad of my waterproof jacket, I coped without waterproof trousers.

So personally I wouldn't bother with the expense unless you're going to use them again OR really don't like getting at all wet. It may also depend a bit on what group you get - we got the R group which was a very short walk from the park HQ.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
2. Re: gorilla trek rain gear

Thanks so much for your reply and I've also been to Ireland and yes...it sure does rain there! I didn't have rain pants in Ireland and did OK as well. I've found that the Colombia pants which are "water repellant" are really great and if they do get wet....do dry very quickly. My rain jacket is pretty long as I'm not very tall so it comes almost to my knees.....that should do it I think.

Thank you,

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
445 reviews
3. Re: gorilla trek rain gear

The thing to remember is you are in mountains and the climb can be "warm". Do you really want to be cluttered up with rain gear? Travel light. Your skin is water tight so it won't get any further than that! And if it does not rain you will feel daft with all that gear.

If you do get a soaking then there are nice showers and a bath waiting back at base.

4. Re: gorilla trek rain gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 15:47