We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Fredensborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

My boyfriend and I are (hopefully) Gorilla-trekking in Bwindi in the middle of July. We have been mailing UWA trying to book permits - no answer. Luckily we have now got help through our Car rental company, Karibu Rwanda Tours.

Apparently we have to choose between different Gorilla Groups. Like most other visitors going to Bwindi, this is the highlight of our trip and considering the 500$ spent (+ 50$ fee), we would like to make the absolutely right choice here. We have the option to choose between visiting the below 3 Gorilla Groups, does anyone know which of them are the bigges group? The best possibility to get up close to?

Mishaya Gorilla Group

Nshongi Gorilla Group

Oruzogo Gorilla Group

Hope someone can give us a good advice in this.

Thank you so much. Greetings from Denmark.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

For me Nshongi is far better because Mishaya spitted from Nshongi Gorilla Group a total of 10 gorillas left Nshongi group 3 years back, led by the second dominant silverback called Mishaya. Nshongi had over 34 gorillas in total.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,757 posts
445 reviews
2. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

I would agree with the choice of group. This will also get you into the more remote and beautiful area of the NP.

With luck you will get up close to most groups so that is not an issue. They are all quite well habituated to giving their daily audience.

I was surprised at the mention of a $50 fee as extra. I have not seen that before and did not know it was permitted. Most ground operators are happy to get permits as part of their overall service.

Fredensborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Thanks for your input both of you. Mfuwe - could you advise on who to contact in order to book permits, I've been emailing to 3 different tour-operators through the last month regarding our booking of permits.. without any answer back. Do you have a reliable tour-operator to recommend?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,757 posts
445 reviews
4. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

There have been Server problems in Uganda this past few weeks or so s that may explain non replies.

Several good agents get recommended on here, two are regular posters who I am sure would help you if asked.

My own links are with Churchill All Africa Safaris in Kampala who have arranged all my trips with no problems. You should always get quotes from three or four Operators anyway for comparison purposes so why not try them too? You will find Rachel, Brenda and Ether very obliging. info@churchillsafaris.com

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
5. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Agreed - what is the $50 extra? Don't pay that!!!!

KnowUganda - I think what you meant was "split" - not spitted. That's something else.

There was an issue last week with Orange, and I had problems with my ISP going off-line for 24 hrs (they said yet another issue with fibre optics in Mombasa) but to be honest, I think that's a useful excuse. Things are functioning normally right now (even the p*w*r) hussssh!

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Oruzongo is also nice.

The recently habituated gorilla family located in Ruhija.

Trekking gorillas in this group normally takes 1-4 hours

Bwindi Impenetrable...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Hi Globe,

I agree with Mfuwe's choice of Gorilla group. Securing the permits is the most fundamental part of the trip and you have to be 100% confident that these are booked before arranging the other bits.

Really who ever you book the trip through should charge you $500 for the permits as part of the package.

You will have a great time!

Thanks

Barrie

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Honestly permits should be booked at $ 1,000 for the two of you which is $ 500 a piece,especially if you are using that same company for the rest of your trip.all the best.

kabale, africa
Level Contributor
24 posts
9. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

I can go with " knowuganda" however the group is no wrong big as 34 individuals, $50 for what? Maybe if you would like to hire optional potters, tipping the group guides and rangers which is normal.

Enjoy African pearl!

Spain
Level Contributor
41 posts
126 reviews
10. Re: Gorilla Trekking Permits, which Gorilla groups?

Glad to hear - just received confirmation of booking with this group. Any suggestions for nearby budget accommodation? Thanks.