We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla trekking

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
gorilla trekking

has anyone been to both uganda and rwanda for gorilla trekking and how safe did you feel in uganda? Also, what does anyone think of the Gorilla Forest Camp.

My itinerary is probably Jao & Mambo in Botswana, Mnemba in Zanzibar and gorilla trekking in Uganda. Any comments?

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: gorilla trekking

i went to uganda in jan/feb 06 and did not feel at all threatened in fact the people are all great (they all want you to sponsor there kids through school but apart from that)

we went treking from bwindi 8.5 tortuous but wonderful hours of sweat and tears

we stayed at a permanent tented camp which was basic but ok your hot water brought in a jerry can for the shower of a morning

can def recommend it little touches like hot samosas waiting with tea when you get back from your trek

best holiday yet!!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: gorilla trekking

Yes, I went to Bwindi in January for three days of last year and then down to Rwanda's Parc de Volcan for two days.

Uganda is very safe, especially in the Impenetrable Forest parklands. It is well patrolled by Ugandan troops with listening posts and watchtowers on the ridges of the rainforest.

Your trek will also be protected by two or three soldiers as well as rangers.

Rwanda feels equally safe. The border area is well protected though I would check in advance, either in Kigali or, if you are going from Uganda, in Bwindi. Also, talk to other travellers.

I had the most memorable, wonderful holiday of my life and I'm sure u will too.

O'Dubhain, Dublin, Ireland

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: gorilla trekking

O'Dubhain,

If one had to choose between trekking in Bwindi or PNV, which one would you recommend and why? Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: gorilla trekking

If i were forced to choose between the two, it would be Uganda's Bwindi Impenetrable Forest for the gorillas and Parc de Volcan in Rwanda for what has to be some of the most extrordinarily beautiful natural environment on the planet.

The Bwindi trek is safe, well organised and guaranteed to provide a sighting. The trek to find the creatures is almost as interesting, the forest is lush and full of interesting flora and fauna, though most creature you will hear rather than see.

The Rwandan gorillas live in a very different environment - low dense bamboo covered highlands.

However, a drive through the Parc de Volcan is breathtaking with lush volcanic slopes, smoking volcanoes. truly amazing.

But please do some homework before you go there, though. The security situation changes all the time. If your first call is Uganda, check with travel agents, other travellers etc. However, your driver will most likely be the main source of information.

Good luck

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: gorilla trekking

Thanks for your reply.

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
163 reviews
6. Re: gorilla trekking

PattyC...are you planning on going there on tour?

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: gorilla trekking

Moiraine,

I've dropped Uganda from my plans this time and am going to Kenya and Tanzania instead. Next time! Are you trekking in Bwindi or Rwanda?

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
163 reviews
8. Re: gorilla trekking

The tour company wasn't totally clear where we are trekking....seems to depend on where the gorilla families have wandered to....they said it could be in Uganda...Rwanda or DRC. For obvious reasons, I would rather NOT cross the border into either Rwanda or DRC....especially after reading the book "Dance with the Devil" about the Rwandan genocide, but the people probably need our tourist dollars more than anyone. *sigh* I'll just go where they send me. :)

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: gorilla trekking

Rwanda as I understand is very safe so I wouldn't be concerned. Not sure about the situation in DRC. Which tour company are you using?

Qualicum Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
163 reviews
10. Re: gorilla trekking

Africa Travel Company....Have only spoken to one other person who went with them....and they had a great time, so here's hoping! :)