We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla Habituation

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Gorilla Habituation

Hello! In the planning stages of our trip to Uganda. Can anyone advise whether to complete the habituation experience or two treks to two different families? I'm having trouble finding any reviews or experiences. Thanks for the advice.

14 replies to this topic
Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
613 posts
1. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Matt;

"One man's meat is another man's poison"

Gorilla trekking permit is US$600.

Habituation Experience US$1500.

It is so painful to stay watching these non human great apes for long hours, in most cases Gorillas get shy to feed and expose their social behaviours in the presence of man. That is the reason they are allowed limited time of observation.

I would go for 2 treks in separate areas. This will allow you discover a lot. (topography & relief)

Mind you Uganda has a diversity of wildlife that can add value to your trip:

Mount Rwenzori(hike), Queen Elizabeth(tree climbing Lions), Kibale(chimps), Murchison (Worlds powerful water fall), Semuliki(Birders Haven), Lake Mburo (Famous for Zebras) ,

usa
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Are you asking if you should do 2 gorilla habituations or 2 treks?? I have done both things.

Edited: 25 February 2017, 03:03
Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Gorilla Habituation

I'm asking if we should do 1 habituation or 2 treks. Thanks so much for your help!

usa
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Sorry I re-read your question so I know what you are asking now! OK so, on our first visit to Uganda we did 2 gorilla treks to different families. Amazing. In January we went back to Uganda and did one gorilla habituation and one trek. The gorilla habituation was great. We were out in the jungle for 8 hours and spent 4 hours following the gorillas around. Sitting watching them etc. It was rough hiking. We also did a trek in January because we were unsure about how easy it would be to see the gorillas on the habituation and we wanted to be sure to see them, which you will on a trek. If I was in your shoes going to Uganda for the first time....I would probably say do 2 treks. You will get to see the gorillas, they will be less shy and you will have an amazing experience. We loved the habituation, but we had seen the gorillas before and were well prepared mentally if they were shy and hid from us. Hope this helps you. One thing I will say to anyone considering the habituation.......know that you will potentially be in the jungle for the entire day. It is rough hiking.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Gorilla Habituation

I really appreciate your advice. Would you say that the habituation gorillas are more shy? Thank you again!

usa
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Yes they were a little more shy. They were a big group. We saw most of them at some point during the day but there were about 5 that we were able to follow most of the day.

Edited: 25 February 2017, 03:49
Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Gorilla Habituation

I very much appreciate your help!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
84 posts
8. Re: Gorilla Habituation

To me two Gorilla trek will be great, as noted early spice your safari with other activities like Chimpanzee habituation in Kibale it costs 220$ have a game drive and a boat cruise in Queen Elizabeth it will be great safari for you

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Thanks so much for the advice!

Uganda
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Gorilla Habituation

Hello Matt, greetings from Uganda and Nkuringo walking safaris.

I would advise doing 2 gorilla treks in different gorilla families instead of habituation

Truth be told, gorillas are wild and always charge in presence of guests, imagine they do this during habituation. this could be better for me but to others the whole experience is distorted.

so 2 treks provide you with exposure to different gorilla groups, their behaviors and much more.

i believe that could be a good deal.

for any help am always free to assist,

have a blessed day ahead

Reply to: Gorilla Habituation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted