We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palenque to Bacalar

Clara, Ireland
2 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Palenque to Bacalar
Save

I’m just posting this as I found it really hard to get information online and we made a few mistakes on the journey (such as leaving Palenque ridiculously early), so hopefully it will be useful for others.

For various reasons, we wanted to travel from Palenque to Bacalar during the day but the ADO bus company only offers night buses. If you want to travel during the day, you need to take a colectivo to Zapata. These leave from the colectivo terminal (Allende and 20 de Noviembre) hourly from 5.30 a.m. and cost 40 pesos. The journey takes about an hour so I would suggest getting the 8.30 a.m. one. From Zapata there is a bus to Chetumal at 10.30 a.m. It costs 322 pesos and leaves from the same terminal you get dropped off at. The bus company is TRT and the tickets are sold at the ADO counter but not by ADO staff (slight confusing).

We got off the bus near Chetumal at a town called Huay Pix. Once off the bus, we crossed the road and flagged down a colectivo which runs between Chetumal and Bacalar. This cost 25 pesos and took about 20 mins. We arrived in Bacalar at about 6.30 p.m.

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Palenque to Bacalar
Save

Hi Clara,

I wanted to post and say a massive THANKYOU for writing this! It was a huge help and there is no way we would have been able to navigate our way from Palenque to Bacalar without your instructions. We did this journey on the 15th March 2019 so it is still relevant. There was a bit of a price increase:

- Colectivo from Palenque to Zapata 45 pesos

- TRT bus from Zapata ti Huay-Pix 340 pesos

- Colective from Huay-Pix to Bacalar 50 pesos

But overall it went smoothly. The only thing I would add is that at Zapata we approached the ADO desk and asked for tickets to Chetumal. The ADO lady said there was none during the day and tried to sell us one that didn't leave until that evening. It wasn't until we specifically said TRT that she waved us over to someone else. So make sure you ask for TRT first!

Thanks again!

Bernard and Amanda

1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Palenque to Bacalar
Save

Update as of 25th June 2019:

Currently doing this trip. The collectivo from Palenque went smoothly (45 pesos). When we arrived at Zapata bus station we spoke to the ADO lady, explicitly mentioning TRT and Chetumal. She responded, firstly, by saying there were no buses to there and secondly that they had sold out and tried to sell us one in the evening. Went to the TM stand two stands to the right of the ADO one (it says 10.30 to Chetumal above it) and they sold us tickets. Bus arrived and we are currently on our way! Albeit we are seemingly stood up for the next 7 hours.

Oh well... it worked so far! Thanks for the advice.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Palenque to Bacalar
Save

Thanks a lot for the information so far!

May you guys please clarify which Zapata are you talking about? I find no reference on the map

Thanks in advance

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Palenque to Bacalar
Save

For @361irenec and anyone else who is wondering which Zapata, it's the E.Zapata in Tabasco.

Also, a big thanks to OC. Seems like this is not a popular way to travel but it certainly works. My own experience is below.

1. We took a colectivo rather late from Palenque (~9:30 AM) for Zapata. Still 45 pesos per person. The location for taking the colectivo can be found on Google Maps by searching for "Transportes Palenque". There are a bunch of colectivos that leave from this location regularly.

2. Reached Zapata just before 10:30 AM. The ADO ticket office did not have any staff but we asked around in our broken spanish and were told that the bus for Chetumal would come to the terminal and we could buy the tickets in the bus itself. The TRT bus is scheduled for 10:30 AM apparently but it can reach anytime between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. Don't fret if it is delayed. :) The ticket to Chetumal cost us 326 pesos per person and were sold to us in front of the bus when it arrived.

3. You can take a drop at Huay Pix but we went all the way to Chetumal since we wanted to grab some food. You can get buses from Bacalar from ADO in Chetumal or you can get a colectivo for 50 pesos from the "plaza", that's where the McDonalds is. I think the ADO operation is cheaper by 5 pesos or so.

1 post
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Palenque to Bacalar
Save

hey guys - anyone know if doing this is possible on Sunday? Please tell me the buses run on Sunday so I can get to Bacala, thanks

6. Re: Palenque to Bacalar

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2021, 12:11
Get answers to your questions about Southern Mexico
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.