We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra Visitors

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Petra Visitors

Doing my research for our forthcoming trip to Jordan, I came across a fascinating website of the Petra National Trust. The website is very well done and the first that I have encountered that is detailed and obviously updated regularly. Some pieces of tidbits:

(a) There were 728,108 visitors to Petra last year compared to 180,000 in 1989.

(b) April and Oct were the busiest months each with over 95,000 visitors while Feb had 34,000.

(c) Of the total 8.87% were Americans (USA) and 10.16% were from France. Visitors from Spain, Germany, UK and Italy were each in the 8- 11% range. Jordanians comprised 14% of the total. I was surprised at how very few visitors come from other Arab countries and Africa - a huge untapped market.

(d) Current entry fee for tourists is 33JD going up to 50JD in Nov. The fee for those who have not spent a night in Jordan (wonder how they know?) is a whopping 90JD. Children under 15 and the disabled are free.

(e) Income from entrance fees in 2009 was 13.5 million JD

Edited: 15 July 2010, 18:07
Petra Nights Tours Jordan
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Abdullah Nawafleh - Private Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Jordan Desert Hikes
Caverns & Caves, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Shobak Castle
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
247 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra Visitors

Interesting stats....thanks for posting!

Malta
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra Visitors

i'll be going in October,

so it looks like i m in for a big crowd. i will be sleeping (just one night) in petra, but i too wonder how they can tell that!!,

i was thinking of doing Petra by night as well if i can, and have time. has anyone done it? - Petra by night i mean...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra Visitors

We were at Petra last October for 2 nights. There were large crowds, but not excessive. Wasn't bad.

We did the "Petra by Night" also, and thought it was a worthwhile experience. You can get all the info you could want by searching for it on this forum.

Malta
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra Visitors

hi Jed

thanks for the info, i will keep an eye on this forum, for more updates about Petra/ and Jordan.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra Visitors

BTW, I would suggest making hotel reservations as soon as you know when you will be staying there. Check the cancellation policies.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra Visitors

Jed,

We are going in November and I booked at the Marriott thinking it would be difficult to find a room at a hotel closer to the entrance. However it is costing a lot - 336 JD for two nights when taxes figured in. I wonder if I would do better being further away and using taxis- hate to blow my budget on a hotel room when I will be out most of the day. Fortunately I can cancel without penalty

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petra Visitors

Hi paparam,

The Marriott is not close to the entrance,, not even Wadi Musa,, It takes at least a 20 mintue drive to the Site (visitors Centre).

The Crownr Plaza is not THE Hotel,, but is on Site,, or you could try the Petra Palace Hotel ( its a 3 star) but they do have nice rooms in the new section,,, and its a 5 minute walk to the entrance.

good luck,, and lets us know what happens.

ciao

A99

Edited: 18 July 2010, 23:13
8. Re: Petra Visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 16:21
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petra Visitors

Here's a suggestion, it's what we did.

I got a Priority Club credit card: (no annual fee)

https:/…

I got 30K points after making one purchase.

I made a 2 night reservation at Petra Crowne Plaza. Then I asked for and got one free night with 25K points. It was a very good deal. It may not be available at the time when you want to go, but you could check on it.

The Crowne Plaza was a 3 minute walk to the entrance gate.

10. Re: Petra Visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 00:05
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa