We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland to Bangkok from Myanmar border

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
71 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Overland to Bangkok from Myanmar border

Dear Readers,

End of August, We hope to travel by train from Yangoon to Mawlamyine and cross the border, then continue overland (preferably train) to Bangkok. We are interested in admiring and observing the country by traveling overland. It is very highly appreciated if you could please advice me on this regard, obtaining visa, type of transport, accommodation, site seeing etc. Your kind corporation is highly valued.

Thank you

Giri

2 replies to this topic
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland to Bangkok from Myanmar border

Despite the rapid turnaround in the Myanmar government towards 'reforming', I was not aware that travelers can exit overland to Thailand (not counting the special arrangement for the eastern Shan state). Might want to double check about this border crossing first.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland to Bangkok from Myanmar border

I travelled from Pha)An to Maesot last year crossing from Burma to Thailand. It was an uncomfortable journey as I was squeezed between a monk and a mother and baby. The back of a Corolla for 6 hours is not fun, though yes I would do it again. The border crossing was painless and I did pay a car to bring my bags which I won't do again. No need!

I'm back to Burma in January...whoooppeeeee

Reply to: Overland to Bangkok from Myanmar border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mae Sot