We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

Nonthaburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

Has the Friendship Bridge between Mae Sot and Myawaddy, which was closed in July 2010, reopened? There was a news story in August saying that it looked like it would open soon.

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

Not as far as I know. The bridge remains shut. Was there for a month last January, with little talk of reopening. You might also like to set up a Google alert for Mae Sot. Good luck for the near future.

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

It re-opened on 5th Dec 2011. I was there and crossed over a few days ago - if you're in the area, it's really worth hopping across the border for a few hours.

Note that if you go to Myanmar, you have to be back before 5pm, and you'll only be allowed to stay in Thailand for 15 days after that.

Nonthaburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

Yes, unfortunately the border reopened on the King's birthday, 2 days after I passed by that area on a driving tour. A visit to Myawadi will have to wait until the next time I'm in the north.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?

It is open and very easy to access by foot. You can buy a short time visa at the border for BHT 500. At the Myanmar side I recommend a cold burmese beer at River View close to the bridge. You ca pay with bath.

Reply to: Mae Sot-Myawaddy border open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mae Sot
More Mae Sot Topics