We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover between Bangkok and Mae Sot

Santa Cruz...
2 posts
Stopover between Bangkok and Mae Sot

Hi, thank you in advance for any suggestions. This is my first time traveling in Thailand.

We will be traveling from Bangkok to Mae Sot later this month. Is there a logical place to break up the long bus ride with an overnight somewhere interesting in between?

For example, would it make any sense to stop over in Lopburi?

(I see that it's easy to get from Bangkok to Lopburi, but how hard to get from Lopburi to Mae Sot?)

Time is fairly limited, so this might be our only opportunity to see places like Ayutthaya or Lopburi.

2 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Stopover between Bangkok and Mae Sot

Lopburi is no distance at all from Bangkok in relation to the distance between Bangkok and Mae Sot. Its takes quite a while getting from Chiangmai to Mae Sot. Chiangmai is the logical place to stopover. Personally, I'd suggest taking a budget flight to Chiangmai, and the bus from there. Other options are Nakhon Sawan which is about half way from Bangkok to Chiangmai, but it would still be quite a long journey to Mae Sot. There are of course buses that go all the way to Mae Sot from Bangkok.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 12:55
Santa Cruz...
2 posts
2. Re: Stopover between Bangkok and Mae Sot

Thank you. We are going to Chiangmai after Mae Sot, then flying from Chiangmai to Koh Samui before returning to Bangkok.

We are currently spending 4 nights total in Bangkok.

Reply to: Stopover between Bangkok and Mae Sot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mae Sot
More Mae Sot Topics