We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

many years ago I travelled by superferry from Manila to General Santos, I just loved it! I was met in Manila by filipino friends, who then traveled with me to GS. Is it safe for me to do this trip on my own? Where is a good cheap place to overnight in Manila?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
1,995 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Having travelled on both the SuperFerry (Cebu to Manila: 24 hours) and TransAsia 3 (Cagayan de Oro to Cebu: nine hours) with both including night travel, I recommend both.

Book for SuperFerry on its website www.superferry.com.ph

You can travel in a suite, which I found comfortable and fairly spacious. The TransAsia vessel (ex Japan) had its berths configured more pleasantly but the SuperFerry was still excellent.

Look up 'Manila accommodation' (and 'Makati accommodation') on TA and also examine the offerings at keenly priced at reliable www.asiatravel.com: we cannot help you more unless you tell us your nightly budget for Manila.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
1,995 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

The Superferry from Manila to 'Gen San' departs on Tuesdays and Saturdays, but the Tuesday sailing calls at Iloilo City and hence has an unseemly 0200 arrival in 'Gen San.'

I would choose the Saturday evening departure, which is timetabled to arrive General Santos City at 1930 on Monday.

It may be prudent to only book four days before: that way, you can have a chance of assessing if there are typhoons which seem to be more prevalent around Luzon than the more southerly Visayas or Mindanao.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

There are many cheap hotels/inns at Ermita district in Manila which is also frequented by backpackers, no need to book in advance, just walk in straight to a hotel that catches your fancy. Lucky for you that it is just a 5-10 mins. taxi ride to the Superferry terminal.

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Thank you (Salamut) so much for your help with my question. muchly appreciated. Heather

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Salamut! Really appreciate your help. Can't wait to arrive your country is so beautiful, you people so kind!

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Awesome! Fantastic! Salamut for your help.

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Thank you so much for your help. Your a wealth of information! Any other good advise for this old fossil?

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

salamat rather than salamut

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

Oophs sorry Clare. Have you yourself travelled Mindanao? Would be interested in any advise/tips you have. Cheers Heather

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Manila to Gen San via super ferry

dont wish to worry you but should read this anyway smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…philippines

Get answers to your questions about General Santos