We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Level Contributor
53 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

I trust this is allowed on here.

Whilst we were in Bagan we had a very helpful local driver who was more than happy for us to repost his details here . His name is Mr Bu and his mobile number is 204-2311. His rates were very competitive, he speaks excellent English, seems to know just about everyone, and was very friendly and flexible on arrangements.

He took us on a couple of tours including a half day trip to Mount Popa. Fully recommended.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,030 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Genuine recommendations,whether on Agents,Guides or Taxis, will always be welcome on this forum.

It is the self advertisers, and sometimes the one time posters raving about a contact, that will generally be closed pdq by The TA Moderators.

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Hi Inky

Thanks for this info. I am off there in a couple of weeks. What other tours did he take you on and what happens when you get to a location. Do they just wait for you? Can you give me an idea of what he chharged day rate

Regards

Level Contributor
53 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Hi sh1nesout;

We also did a half day tour locally finishing off with being dropped off at the airport (worked out cheaper than getting a taxi booked via the hotel). I can't remember the specific prices but it worked out around two thirds of what the hotel was asking.

Mr Bu was very flexible in terms of how the trips were arranged - he would recommend specifics if required or you could get him to do things in a particular order or follow a particular itinerary. For example, on the Popa trip he asked whether we wanted to stop at a toddy factory (which we did) and a handiware shop (which we passed on). There was no pressure to do anything specfiic.

When we arrived just outside Popa he stopped at a particularly good viewing area so we could take photos after also stopping at a local tourist restaurant for a comfort break (no charge, very clean toilets). He then drove through the village, pointing out where the Nat museum and other places of interest were, advised about the best entrance and exit to Popa and waited for us in a local cafe - no pressure at all on timings. On the way back we stopped again at the restaurant. We decided to have a drink there, but had the option to eat too or simply use the toilets again without charge.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask anything else. Quite envious of your forthcoming trip! ;)

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Thanks for this. We are booking all this ourselves so its great to have this info. I don't fancy climbing Mt Poppa but would like to get a good view of it for photos. It is going to be very very hot while we are there and I am not sure if it is worth the climb.

We will also need transfer to Airport so it may be worth booking him in advace to take us.

I am very excited but also a little nervouse as still not got all transport sorted. The internet info is not that brilliant but I do have a great chap in Yangon doing over and beyond for us. Where else in the worls would you get a B&B sorting out your air travel and taking the risk to book and pay bus fare for us. Such genourous people in every way.... We are going to Madalay and Inle lake so if you have any great tips they would be very appreciated.

Kind regards

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
15,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

From Bagan to Mt Popa, you can hire a mini-van with driver for US$60 or so, any hotel or guesthouse can arrange that. Since you are going all the way out there, it would be silly to miss the chance of walking to the top (not "climbing", there are proper stairs all the way up) and the view from up top is spectacular. If you want some idea of what to expect, here are some photos of the day I had there, click on the link and peruse

http://popapixbrma.notlong.com

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
15,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Mandalay trip report

tripadvisor.com/…31008061

Inle trip report

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k421…

Level Contributor
53 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Glad I could help.

Mt Popa is quite a climb although the steps are all under cover in the shade and there are plenty of resting points with benches on the way up. It's a good view from the top.

I know exactly what you mean about the kindness and trust of the Myanmar people. This was one of the things that really struck us whilst we were there and is a lasting memory. I suggest you do a search for information on Mandalay and Inle as there are plenty of other travellers who have contributed great articles on here.

By the way, be aware that there is absolutely nothing in the way of cafes or bars etc at Bagan airport. It's a tiny place with a single part-time souvenir desk. I'd recommend taking a bottle of water and a snack in case your plane is delayed. There is a (local) cafe outside the airport gates where you can get drinks etc

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Zaw Car rental in Bagan can arrange Both Car and Tour Guide

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Thanks for the tip. What was Mr.Bu's daily rate? Does Mr.Bu also have a contact email address? Thanks.

Level Contributor
53 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tip: local guide and car in Bagan

Hi Passionate_Traveler7;

As per my previous post: "I can't remember the specific prices but it worked out around two thirds of what the hotel was asking" - so I can't give you a daily rate.

I don't know whether he has a contact email address. We only have his mobile number which is posted above.

Get answers to your questions about Bagan
Recent Conversations