We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding

Porvorim, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Birding

Hi,

I am traveling with my two sons in May 2017. I have two weeks and our priority is to see the birds-of-paradise.

Please advise on the best option to do this. or if there is another island to do the same closer to Bali. since Bali is our place of entry.

Thanks

18 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
6,724 reviews
1. Re: Birding

Same questions but a couple extra, this is for a planned trip in November

which tour groups have others used for birding trips

Has anyone had experience with Papua Expeditions

What is the best month to see displaying Birds of Paradise

Which areas are most recommended for birds of paradise.

Are there safety concerns in the remote highlands.

What is the snorkelling like

Where can you see a mandarin fish

Batu, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Birding

Hi, where are the entry city in West Papua during your trip? if the first city entry is Manokwari, you should go to Arfak Mountain to see Birds Of Paradise. Or go to Raja Ampat in Waigeo island to see Red Bird of Paradise and Wilson Bird of Paradise.

Lombok is the best choice since the island near to Bali.

Regards

Batu, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Birding

Hi Ron, i don't have experience with Papua Expeditions.

Last month i was going to West Papua and i think May - September are the best month to see Birds of Paradise.

1. Batanta, Salawati, Waigeo: A pilgrimage to see Wilson's Bird-of-Paradise! The islands are also home to Red and King BoP, Northern Cassowary, Western Crowned-pigeon and more.

2. Arfak: Stunning mountain scenery and stunning birds. See displaying Western Parotia, Magnificent BoP, plus Black Sicklebill, Long-tailed Paridigala, Arfak Astrapia and much much more.

As far as i know, the area are safety to your trips.

I don't know very well about the fish, but Raja Ampat is the best choice i think.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
6,724 reviews
4. Re: Birding

thank you, much appreciate your answers, it all helps for a better experience.

Ron

Jakarta, Indonesia
1 post
5. Re: Birding

Raja Ampat, Papua

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Birding

Hi Gfromgoa, how was your birding trip to West Papua? Can you please recommend a good guide/agency? Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
6,724 reviews
7. Re: Birding

Hi Flying 88

We haven't gone yet, our trip is in November but are doing it with

Papua Expeditions who come highly recommended by many birding enthusiasts

Let's know how you go

Ron Scott

8. Re: Birding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2017, 18:13

9. Re: Birding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2018, 20:25

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
312 reviews
10. Re: Birding

Wow, Flying88_Phoenix what a great story! Hope to learn more about your snorkeling in Raja Ampat, too!

What did you decide to use for malaria prophylaxis there?

Edited: 04 December 2017, 03:50
Reply to: Birding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Papua