We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

I am visiting Bolivia in May/June.

Any recommendations for tour operators going to Salar de Uyuni?

I am debating a 3 or 4 day tour... any input on which one to pick?

Thank you!

Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

the salar de Uyuni is only a one day trip. the other days are going to see lots of lakes and amazing scenery. if you have time and money you should do the 3-4 day trip. if not you can see the salt lake in one day, and maybe spend the night there the sunset are meant to be out of this world and you would get more time without the million tourist. again depends on money cos that cost.

So you've not given much info on this, on what you want out of it. so maybe you just want some inspiration?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g317033-…

Check out the photos above. the salt lakes you can do in one day, the photos of anything else is for more days.

Hope this helps, if you want more info please ask.

Simon B

www.backpackersbackpacking.co.uk

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Thank you! I love photography and the pictures of the Salar de Uyuni were my initial draw to visit Bolivia.

Since I am out there I would like to spend 3 or 4 days there exploring the surreal landscape.

I have been going through the different threads in this forum trying to find useful information and recommendations as far as a tour operator, but didn't really see a lot of hints.

I heard the hike to the Tunupa Volcanoe is great and I would like to see that included in the tour.

I saw Cordillera Traveller and Estrella del Sur being recommended, but I think both operate out of Chile. I haven't checked if you can book with them also from La Paz.

I am also tryingn to figure out the best way to get there. I saw flights with Amaszonas online, but I couldn't access the TAM website for flight schedules.

I am trying to make the most of my time so maybe I will take the overnight bus to Uyuni and fly back.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Tam needs to be booked by phone

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

I think all the actual tours in Bolivia are operated by law by Bolivian companies so the companies in Chile work with companies in Uyuni or Tupiza.

Tupiza Tours and la Torre Tour even though they are out of Tupiza will pick you up in Uyuni or just about anywhere else (like the Chilean border or in our case Potosi). Those two companies get consistent good reviews.

We used Tupiza Tours and were very pleased, great food from our driver/Chef/guide Willie . Flying to Uyuni is tough and I do not think that option is even always available. we did see work going on at a new airport in November but do not know if it is now operational. Maybe someone else knows.

We did a custom tour because we opted for the Tayka hotels ( I stayed at a high altitude refugio in Chile once and really disliked being COLD) Also.

On a custom tour you can stop and take all the photos you want and believe me you will want to stop. The Salar is only one part of the fantastic surreal landscapes in the area don't miss out on the rest.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

I flew to Uyuni in November. The airport is open. People who took a bus on my jeep said it was miserable.

For me the Tupiza tours weren't an option due to the extra time and expense, and also due to the road blockades, and uncertainty about whether they could access the Laguna Colorada in a timely fashion (which was really my #1 priority).

I used Blue Line Service, one of the budget agencies. No significant problems and the scenery is fantastic. I was able to get on a tour the same day instead of having to waste a day in Uyuni.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 23:23
Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Hey,

I'm going to Salar de Uyuni in October this year, and also wondering the best way to get there...How did you get there in the end?

Any infotmation would be really appreiated, and anything else of interest in Bolivia also!

Thanks

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
724 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Fly there is a good option. I did that. Otherwise the train looks like a good option. I heard someone took the bus in December, and she told me the bus was indeed OK, with heat.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

You can either take a bus from La Paz or fly on select dates.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

You can take a bumpy bus/coach ride from La Paz to Uyuni ... may as well rough it - all part of the experience! I've heard lots of stories - someone got stuck in the middle of a strike and had stones etc thrown at their bus which eventually broke down.. I spent the trip with people's bits and pieces falling on me from the bag compartments while I slept and my friend had to repeatedly close the forever opening window. Bring a warm sleeping bag and a lot of patience!)

Then once you're in Uyuni there are a whole load of travel agents selling their trips.. just check them all out, see what their trips include, what the people are like and compare them. Also ask about the jeeps you're driving in as you want them to be reasonably comfortable.

I absolutely recommend taking the 3-4 day tour where you get to go from Uyuni through the salt plains, and then to the old volcanoes and lagoons and hot springs... we took one that brought us part way to San Pedro in Chile. It's some of the most stunning landscapes I've seen.

Have fun!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour operator suggestions for Salar de Uyuni Tour

Whatever you do avoid Estrella del Sur. After a great tour of southern Bolivia and Uyuni with La Torre tours in January 2013 (from Tupiza) we had a private transfer organised with Estrella del Sur from the border at Avanzada Ollague for a six hour drive to San Pedro de Atacama. 15 minutes into the drive with our group of 5 I noted the driver falling asleep at the wheel! It was terrifying! We spent 6 hours on edge, keeping the driver awake and making him stop. The driver had been up since 4am to get the border with one group of tourists only to turn around and have to drive back. We paid good money for the transfer- and EstRella del Sur should have sent two drivers. Instead we had the drive from hell. See my review of La Torre in the review section.