We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracas Airport Lowdown

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Caracas Airport Lowdown

Arriving in Caracas on Dec. 4. We have our flights booked on Aeropostal to Margarita. Any advise on the airport in Caracas and how to navigate to the Aeropostal ticket office? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I heard the Caracas airport is a wee-bit crazy!

Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hi Trini! When we went to MI, we were able to get away with only carry on, so we were able to get thru customs quite fast. After customs you pass thru a narrow walkway (that looks down to the lower deck) and head left to the escalators you will see in the far left corner. Go down those and out to the street. Head left again and walk around 900 meters. You will have to physically shake off any little "helpers" that will attach themselves to you with a firm "no, gracias". When you reach the National Airport, there will be pushier "helpers" that want to change money for you. Be firm. The aeropostal counters are all the way at the far end of the zillions of counters, so set your sights and keep walking. Be sure once you have your boarding passes before you go thru the long security line that you have your airport tax stamp (it's a bar code sticker that they put on your boarding pass). If not you will have to go back to the "Tasa Aeropuertario" (or something like that) near the start of the security line. This would mean getting in line again.....ug. Once you are thru that line, it's a snap! Coming back was SIMPLE, so don't sweat your return!! Have fun, we loved the island and it's friendly people!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hi WedW --- thanks so much for your help!

We leave on Saturday - I'm so excited. Any other last minute tips for us? We are spending 2 weeks there.

TG

Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hi Trini! I'm so excited for you that you get to go to MI, you will love it! Take a small flashlight, sometimes the electricity goes out, and this came in very handy. Also, if you do the Angel Falls Trip (you simply MUST!!), take a waterproof camera or you will be sorry (like me!), it is the most incredible trip ever!! Take advantage of the great prices on pearls. We had so much fun bargaining on the beach, and having them custom make whatever we wanted. Think between $5-25 for earrings and necklaces. They make amazing x-mas gifts!! Also, I'm not sure if it is a problem for Canadians, but for Americans it is, so if you are into Cuban cigars we got KILLER deals on cuban cigars ($60 for a box of 20). Watch the body cavity search in customs if it is not legal in Canada!!!! Ew. Also, a big smile and a friendly attitude will get you anything you need there, as the people could not be nicer, so enjoy!! One last thing, have a cold Polar beer for me!!

Miami
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Wedwoman! You are supposed to give me some credit for the airport tips instead of just plagerizing my post to you!!! ;-)

Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hi Steve! Guilty as charged!! I definitely wanted to pass on the good advice you gave me before my trip last Oct.!! I hope the next person is smarter than I am, as I still went mental when it came time to use your valuable info. Anyway, Kudos for Steve, our informative and helpful businessman, keep up the good work!! WW1

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Dear Wedwoman and Steve:

You both ROCK! We just got back from having a fantastic time in Margarita. Your airport advice could not have been better. My husband and I just wanted to thank you for the help...our airport experience went very smoothly.

Ciao!

Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hi trini! I'm so glad you enjoyed MI, I knew you would!! I'm also glad Steve's and my information was useful at the airport. It's an amazingly well organized airport for a South American country! Anyway, Happy New Year to you!! WW1

tampa, fl
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Hey, had to jump in on your post...I'm traveling to Caracas, this Thursday, to meet my (newly discovered half) sister. She & her mom will pick me up, but I'm not sure where. I'm female traveling alone, I'm hoping to NOT have to check any baggage, but I have some gifts I'm bringing. Will customs be an issue in your opinion. (I've heard American are not treated well)

Once off the plane is it difficult to locate people waiting for you? (In the states, one can not get to the gates without a ticket so, you usually have to meet them outside near baggage pickup.Is this the case in Venezuela?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanx :o)

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

This is for wedwoman: I read your comment about body cavity searches! I am going to Margarita Island with husband and teen son on Jan 4th. We are Canadians, and going from Toronto to MI. Where did this search happen?

Does anyone know if this is legal in Canada? Must we submit to it?

Thanks

Funkynassau

Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caracas Airport Lowdown

Dear Funky! Jeez, that was a joke!! Don't worry, there is no body cavity search!! The people at the Venezuelan airports were always very professional, friendly, and if you are not carrying contraband, you need not worry about a thing!! I guess I will not be quitting my day job to become a comic!!

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations