We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover between London and barmouth

13 posts
Stopover between London and barmouth

Hello,

Is there any particular place you would recommend as a stopover between London and barmouth?anything scenic or historic?

7 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,785 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

How are you travelling ? train ? car ?

and by 'stopover' do you mean for the night or just a couple of hours ?

and when ?

Edited: 23 December 2017, 10:11
13 posts
2. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

Sorry for being vague, travelling by car ,2 adults and 3 kids ( 12,9,5 age ), a few hours stop .

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
440 reviews
3. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

Three hours or so from London, two hours or so from Barmouth - the Ironbridge World Heritage Site https://www.ironbridge.org.uk/

13 posts
4. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

Thank you, will look into it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
5. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

Ironbridge is a good suggestion. I'd be happy to stop of anywhere in Shropshire to be honest. I think it's a very under rated county.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

What time of year? - that will make a real difference to what is open.

What route were you thinking of taking? Most route planners will take you M40 and through theWest Midlands on the M6 to pick up the M54.

Ironbridge is well-situated , whichever route you rake, and is a super-interesting place. My only reservation is that it really needs a holiday of several days to see all the different things there! But if it appeals, it could form a stopping place on return journey as well.

I would also consider getting off the motorways much sooner, either the A44 from Oxford, and vía Worcester to Leominster and Ludlow (could include a wander round Burford), or take M42 south of Birmingham, then across rural Shropshire.

The Shropshire routes open up lots of possibilities:

- Acton Scott Victorian Farm (as per BBC programme)

- Ludlow (Castle and nice town)

- Stokesay Castle (medieval fortified manor) near Craven Arms. Small, won't take hours, but there's enough to explore to really stretch your legs.

Much more than half-way, there's also Powis Castle and Gardens, near Welshpool.

But quite a lot of these are closed, or have limited opening hours in winter, and some of the Midlands motorways are horrendously busy at particular times of the day/week/year. That's why, for the best advice, you need to state WHEN you're doing this journey.

Edited: 23 December 2017, 23:20
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
7. Re: Stopover between London and barmouth

I agree with Sonia about getting of the motorway. I find driving on them tedious and tiring. I find driving on non dual carriageways far more interesting and pleasant.

Reply to: Stopover between London and barmouth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barmouth
More Barmouth Topics