We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

Manchester
7 posts
Save Topic
Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

We are lookinmg to book a holiday in Fuengirola but have concerns it may be a home from home with fry-ups drunken brits marauding the streets until the early hours, shops ellinmg tack and plastic boobs and plenty of drink till you drop bars. Is this the case

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

No!

Fuengirola - although attracting a lot of British visitors - remains predominantly a very nice Spanish resort.

There are bars a plenty, and some do just cater for Brits, but most are traditional Spanish type and the restaurants selection is superb.

Great beach too.

Runcorn England
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

No!! It certainly isn't like Benidorm. The beach is lovely, the people friendly and it is all so clean. We have just come back from Fuengirola, we stayed at the Florida Spa, gorgeous hotel and a few yards from the prom and the beach. There are lots of lovely trips to do from there, we did a Landrover day out to the Lakes and Mountains with Dave Warden, it was the highlight of the week!

It's a flat area which is better for the middle aged, and we certainly didn't come across any Binge Bars. The only thing that let it down was the Looky Men, they did tend to get on our nerves a bit, but if you keep your nerve and just say "NO" firmly, they give up.

Enjoy your stay!

Ann.

Benalmadena Pueblo
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

Out of all the resorts along the western Costa Del Sol, Fuengirola is the most Spanish, and yes, you will find on the promenade some shops selling the usual plastic rubbish, amongst the necessary beach bits and pieces. You will also find bars and restaurants catering from expensive to very cheap buffet type places, and every nationality food you can imagine. As you are from Manchester you may find some of the local ex-pats dressed in red shirts with large grins on their faces, and maybe larger ones after the Cup Final. If you wear a light blue shirt expect some good natured ribbing. I like Fuengirola, have lived next door in Benalmadena for 4 years and have not seen any sign of aggressive drunken louts, and this is in spite of staying out in live music clubs until 2 0r 3 in the morning.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

My son and his friend are traveling to Fuengirola early June and reading all your opinions has put my mind at ease as I was worrying about his safety. Fuengirola seems to be a very nice place

Thank you.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

We were there in March and I can say I had resevations, like you, before I went. Dont worry. We had a great time. We tended to wander a lot round the back streets and the Spanish restaurants are lovely. Go to Mijas on local bus- stunning. I hope to go back.

Manchester
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

I visit fuengirola every year in aug and normally stay at the hotel angela, it is the best part of fuengirola los boliches lovely bars and restaurants with a beautiful beach, mijas only a bus ride away is stunning with spectacular views, the main centre has some wonderful bars and restaurants one being called fish alley, there you will find 100s of bars and eateries my fave being moochers excellent steaks and has a brill terrace.

Near the hotel pyramides there is a great english chippy called joeys it has been there forever and is the best, great red wine served there at 1 euro per glass.

Do not stay near the new myramar shopping complex it is to out of the way, although do visit the shopping complex it is shopping heaven it is very much like the trafford centre near me in manchester.

There are some british pubs and clubs but only if you want to go in them, I think out of benelmandena and toromolinos fuengirola is the most spanish, I love it hope you do.

7. Re: Is fuengirola a tacky resort a la Benidorm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 12:56
Get answers to your questions about Fuengirola